Tuesday, December 14, 2010

We're Blaming the Pitch, Arsene?


Supporting this Arsenal team can be a cruel experience leaving one with feelings of distress and indifference all at the same time.  I really wanted this side to beat the Mancs for all the reason discussed pre-match.  I exhorted this belief to my cousin in Denver who is a Manure fan.  But when we put up the performance yesterday that rendered a 0 -1 loss...I really wasn't surprised.

I missed the entire first half because in my Gooner enthusiasm I was intent on ignoring the two feet of snow and blizzard conditions in my area and drive somewhere to obtain cable access to be able to watch the match.  This madness dominated my thinking despite my access to the main road being blocked by three foot high drifts and a county-wide state of emergency.  Notwithstanding the radio broadcaster's plea to "stay off the roads", I attempted driving anyway.  I had to see this game!  Needless to say, I got stuck in the aforementioned drifts, hiked to my neighbors where I sat having a beer with the wife while the boys pulled me out and plowed my lane.  What does Ms. Manners say about how long one should stay and visit after neighbors save your back side?  Umm...I decided two beers were enough and ventured on my way.  Long story short, I got to my destination at halftime.

I already knew we were down 1-0 thanks to my cousin who was not shy about texting something about the glory of ManUnited.  I wasn't too worried though.  I saw our lineup and thought we had a lot of creative force on the pitch.  We could equalize.  The second half started, and I began to worry.

We had some energy and the pundits said we looked better than the first half, but we were giving away passes.  Amazingly, we didn't concede on the counter attacks even with Nani flying down the flank.  Our best chance came when Van der Sar palmed away Nasri's low shot and Chamakh was there for the rebound.  He didn't finish it.

Cesc, RVP, and eventually Theo were subbed on but to no avail.  I think Theo made the most difference as he had a couple of great crosses into the middle but no one converted them into a goal.  Being one goal up, Manure seemed content to sit behind the ball and try to counter.  Time ran out and we once again had to witness Manchester United triumph over our Youth Academy-only-type club. 

Twitter and the blogsphere are full of people saying that Arsene was once again tactically outdone by Fergie who clogged the midfield with Carrick and Fletcher, benching Berbatov in the process.  Isn't our formation supposed to address a clogged midfield?  Isn't that the reason Wenger gave for urging Song to go forward instead of just sitting in front of the back four?  It just did not work against a solid defense.

So the answer is what?  I don't think blaming the condition of the pitch is one.  Neither is continuing to employ players who keep making mistakes.  Clichy poked away the ball from Nani three times and twice had it taken back by him because he dawdled on the ball.  I'd have rather seen Eboue in.  Yes.  Eboue.  Arshavin had a poor game against Belgrade.  Why did he start against ManU?  Our bench is deep, let's use it to pressure the starters. 

Can we really go for the title after five losses?  I can't see how we can afford to continue dropping points even with the table topsy turvy at times.  And we have tough games still coming up.  Stoke hate us (mutual), Chelsea is after Christmas, and then we have City after that.  Our boys are not known for hitting back after a loss.  Our pattern is to lose two and then get our heads up.  Champions League was one of the places we would lose.  We have none of those games to cushion a loss.  They're all EPL games until January.  There really is no more room for error.

So boys, get your heads up now.  You can do it.

I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!