Saturday, December 18, 2010

A Thank You

Well, in light of the plethora of Premier League cancellations, I decided to fore go my usual pre-match write up and try something a little different.  Today was important personally not just because my club had a chance to step on the heads of Stoke players and fans on their re-ascension to the top of the league, but because my group of fellow Arsenal fans has broken up.  The two main pillars of the club - and my close friends to boot - left the area today heading toward warmer climate and new adventure.

Jeane and Doc are moving south, and today is the official moving day. Change is a part of life, I know, but that doesn't mean it gets any easier.  Jeane and I became obsessed with the Gunners and the beautiful game at the same time thanks to her husband's mania.   Doc taught me the basics of the game - but more importantly, he taught me the etiquette involved with being a fan.  I thought I would share some of these well-learned lessons with you as I bid a very fond farewell to my friends.

  1. One must always sit in the same seat every game unless the team is losing, then exchanging seats with another club member is permissible, but not until the second half.
  2. If you don't watch the other team taking a penalty and our goalie saves it, you can never watch another penalty being taken ever again. 
  3. No talking about a subject other than football is allowed during the match - that 's what halftime is for. 
  4. If we lose a match while watching at a club member's house, someone else has to host the next match.
  5. No one is allowed to talk negative about an Arsenal player while they are still playing for Arsenal (during the Henry era),
  6. Inventive explicatives are a sign of your passion for the game.
  7. Guinness can be consumed before 11:00 AM.
  8. Any new members must be approved for invitation into the club.
  9. If you ever voice favor of another sport over soccer in the local newspaper, you are expected to bring a six-pack of beer to every match for the rest of the season.
  10. Never say anything at anytime during the match that could possibly, in any way, perhaps jinx a player or the club or the coach...
  11. Non-Americans know 1000% more about this game than Statesiders
  12. If you hide your face in your scarf for set pieces and corners while Arsenal is on defense, and we hold, you have to do that until it doesn't work anymore.
  13. If you know a fellow club member cannot watch a match live, assume they are watching it later and DO NOT TEXT UPDATES!
  14. No one is to invite a guest who possibly could root for the other team "just for fun".  Ruins the whole match.
  15. If we lose, talking is not necessary...for the men.
  16. You are a new member and not taken seriously for the first five years as a probate.
  17. You should know who we play next.
  18. If Arsenal are consistently not playing well and it is the end of the season...do not expect Doc to cook breakfast.  
  19. If you fall asleep during a match because you were up all night partying, Doc will hit you over the head to wake you up.
  20. The MLS will never measure up.
  21. Pacing helps the team perform better.
  22. Washing your jersey is optional - especially if Arsenal won the last time you wore it.
  23. Snow should not keep you from attending matches...hence my getting stuck in drifts last Monday.
  24. Watching matches with friends is better than watching on your own.
  25. The dog is lucky, let him stay in the room...no he's unlucky, put him out...the dog is lucky, let him stay in the room...no...
The most important lesson I learnt, of course, was that soccer is the best game in the world, and Arsenal are the best at playing it.

That's about it.  There are more stories rattling around in my brain, but the ones above really do sum up the last eight seasons.  So, my hat is off to Doc who was my main educator...to Jeane who was my fellow pupil and fanatic.  I will miss you both more than you can imagine.  I know we will keep in touch before, during, and after matches because we are Gooners 'til we die.  Thanks for everything.

3 comments:

  1. Really well written -- The bizarre rituals of being football fans.

    Hope you find a new bunch of fanatics to keep you company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks...I have to say I'm worried about who I'm going to watch with other than my brother and Big Z ...thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you made me laugh and cry. don't know if we can find another arsenal club to fit the bill. I will miss my buddy, will never forget out trip to chicago to watch us lose to bayern munich with all those bm fans. painful.... see you soon in NC i hope Jeane

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment, Handsome!