Wednesday, December 29, 2010

And That's How It's Done People! May I Have More Sir?


"Gooner Parking Only" sign created by always supportive Nieces

Due to my computer coming down with its own virus infestation, my Chelsea review post was put on hold and will be melded with my preview for the Wigan game today.

To start, I have to how fun it was to watch the game at my brother's home.  This is saying a lot because if you are a regular reader, you know that the group of Gooners I usually watch with have moved.  But my nieces helped create great atmosphere by making signs (see above) and Gunner pennants for us to wave throughout the match.  In fact, it has to be said that they are lucky pennants now.  I was holding mine when each goal was scored so we all know what that means.  Yep - they will have to be a permanent fixture in my clenched fists from now on during matches.

Anyway, pace and pressing was the name of the game on Monday as we did not give Chelsea any space, fought for every ball and forced errors.  Yes, Chelsea are in a bit of a funk these days, but Drogba is Drogba.  And to hold him scoreless was a treasure.  I disagree whole heartedly with those who say we won because Chelsea were poor.  I think we won because we were great and made them look out of sorts.  The team I saw on Monday is a team that can win the league.  All of Wenger's playing philosophy was proved correct as we played possession football, had Song going forward and everyone tracking back on defense.  I can't count the number of times Chelsea tried to catch us on a counterattack and there were already five red shirts back behind the ball.  Clichy actually had help shutting down his side and dawdled over the ball only one time.  Sagna and Theo made sure Cashley didn't get any of his crosses off.  And Djourour (my Man of the Match) and Koz beat Drogba to headers.

We went down after foolishly giving away a free kick, and although we looked shaky for a bit afterwards, we didn't cave.  Overall, I did not have one single complaint from the game.  It was pure euphoria and glee for me.

So, it's onto Wigan.  We have three games in 10 days coming up and today is the first chance we have to continue the winning form from Monday.  The way the table is looking, we need all nine points.  More importantly, the energy and discipline from our Chelsea win has to be translated to any player who did not get time on Monday.  I'm pretty sure Arshavin won't stay on the bench today, so he has a chance to show he can press all over the park as well as Nasri.  Cesc is out suspended, so Tomas perhaps has another opportunity to show that not only can he produce a great workrate, but he can score as well...Come on TR7!

I wouldn't be surprised if Bendtner gets some time today.  He can come off the wing allowing Wenger to sart Chamakh as well.  Will RVP get another start?  I thought he looked very dangerous Monday.  I've forgotten what a difference he can make with his aggression and strength.  I think he and Cesc have great chemistry on the pitch.  Sagna may get a rest as well putting Eboue into right back.  Poor old Clichy may have to defend the left side all by his lonesome if Arshavin plays, but Gibbs is still out so he'll just have to grin and bear it!

Matrinez' Wigan don't play the usual physical type style so traditional with the Northern football teams.  He likes to actually play and pass.  The danger is that they are fighting to stay out of the relegation zone.  No matter what style they play with though, if we play  like we played  on Monday, it's three points in the bank.

That's about it.  I'll be back (hopefully) with a post-match report.  GO YOU GUNNERS!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!