Thursday, December 30, 2010

Time To Own Up


Lucky Pennant
 Sorry my post-match review is a bit tardy.  I needed some time to ponder the performance and result of the Wigan game.  There has been an abundance of opinion written already, of course, and I wanted to wade through the rollercoaster of emotions and come to a logical, rational outlook.  Here is what I have come up with.

It's all my fault.

I broke the number one rule in all of fandom.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  This imperative is represented in different forms in my "A Thank You" post.  If you the fan did something during a match to help our boys win...make sure to do the exact same thing next time.  All three goals against Chelski came as I was holding the above pennant in my hand on Monday.  I knew I needed it for the match on Wednesday.

I forgot it at home.

Not only did forgetting my lucky talisman (crafted by my nieces) affect our team's performance, it hampered my ability to watch the game.  I could not find one stream that would work without stopping every three seconds and then continuing with the players looking as though they were running in slow motion.  There was definately some bad juju going on there.  Apparently, magic flags have far-reaching affects. 

So I apologize to all my fellow Gooners for my inconsiderate and forgetful behavior.  I've taken full responsibility so you all can stop the bickering amongst one another about where the fault lies.  I mean sure, Wenger should know that if Cesc is suspended, the combination of Rosicky and Nasri can make up for that.  But TR7 alone?  I guess he could have played them together that night and then rested Nasri at Birmingham when Cesc was back.

And one could reason that starting injury-riddled Diaby may have seemed naive against a sprightly Wigan although I heard he was looking the best out there in the beginning.  Of course, now he's out until...when exactly?  He and Denilson filling in for Song and Spiky Jack may have had an impact I suppose.  Again, sitting them both out at the same time may be something he could re-think.  We really don't seem to have a pound-for-pound substitute for Song.  Ping-Pong is the young likely candidate and he's out (although looking good according to Wenger).

But let's not point fingers.  Remember, when you point your finger at someone, you have three pointing back at yourself.  My mom says so.

I suspect one can venture a guess as to what kind of training goes on at Colney when Wenger states that there is not enough organization on set pieces.  They have coaches for those kind of drills, don't they? I never played the game, but isn't the goalie suppose to help in that organization process by yelling at everyone?  And what about he'squietinreallifebutloudonthepitch Squillaci?  We know he and Koz understand only the Language of Love between them, not the language of football, so someone else needs to redirect them.  I think Chezzers would have been all over them.  Not that it would have mattered without the Lucky Charm.  Let's remember that.

Well, not to worry.  We have our third game in six days on Saturday and I'm pretty confident we'll get the three points we all covet.  Sure, Cesc being back from suspension will help.  Having Song plug up the midfield/score goals is a positive too.  Even having Djourou back in the lineup will definately be a bonus.  But when the final whistle blows, and we finish the week bagging seven out of nine possible points, you all know who to thank. 

Here's to a great win on Saturday and a Happy New Year to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!