Monday, December 13, 2010

The Table is Ours For the Taking

So here we are...Big Game Day.  I know many of you out there have said that playing Manchester United at this stage of the season does not make or break us.  I will respectfully disagree.  Points-wise, it won't hurt us too badly if we lose out on three.  We could still climb back up before May.  But it's the statement this team has been yearning to make over the past few seasons that is important.  Namely that Arsenal are a team to be reckoned with.  That our boys are tougher and stronger than past seasons and not to be intimidated.  They want to send the message that they are legitimate title contenders.

Beating the Mancs at Old Trafford will deliver that statement in spades.

Some of the boys have been talking about the match...some about what Evra the Idiot stated.  Nasri's response was that he didn't want to discuss the barbs; rather he would do his talking on the pitch.  Sagna stated that Evra just likes to wind people up.  Both of these responses are fine, but not what I would have liked to see.  My favored response would have been something like this:

Pundit:  So what do you make of Evra's comments in the papers about Arsenal being in crisis?
Sagna:  Someone said we were in crisis?
Pundit:  Um...yes.  Patrice Evra. He also stated that Arsenal were only good as a youth academy and were not a threat.
Sagna:  Who is this Patricia?
Pundit:  No, no...PATRICE Evra...you know...the starting left back for Manchester United?
Sagna:  Oh...the bloke on my national team that provoked a walkout and left all our nation in embarrassment?  I thought he retired.

Something like that...you get the idea.

Team news/rumor  ahead of the match is that Fabianski could be injured leaving an opening for our other Pole to fill.  Szczesny could get this start and what a statement he could make.  Many Gooners are salivating at the possibility.  I am curious to see how he will perform, but I would have liked to see him try things out against a team like Stoke.  Our defense is used to Lukasz, and he has been improving almost every match.  Throwing in a newbie when consistency is important could throw the team off rather than make us better.  Here's hoping Szczesny has a career maker of a match.  Question:  if our Number One goalie and Number Three goalie are both injured, whose going to be Wojo's backup today?

No mention if Cesc is fit enough to play today.  I think he will start on the bench and make an appearance only if we need an inspired cameo ala Aston Villa last year.  We have big games coming up too, so I think we should only use him if he is 100% fit - which I doubt.  We could use the combination of Tricky Tommy and Samir Swivel Hips to fill his creative void.  Having him on the bench and in the locker room, however, is important for morale.  Cesc is the most experienced player at Arsenal when it comes to playing Manure, and his presence could provide important motivation and advice to our less experienced squad players.

I'm thinking the squad will look something like this:  Szczesny, Sagna, Squillaci, Djourou, Clichy, Arshavin, Nasri, Rosicky, Jack, Song, Chamakh

Bench:  Van Persie, Theo, Bendtner, backup goalie (?), Denilson, Eboue, Cesc

That's abou it really.  Le Boss might start RVP instead of Chamakh only if he thinks Robin's experience in big games would outdo Chamakh's performaces so far.  I think our Moraccan can handle Rio who is in and out fitness-wise.  And I hope that when Chamkah beats Rio for a header, that he's wearing a snood doing it.

With Chelsea being so generous yesterday, the table really is ours to take.  I win will help us pull ahead of not only Manure but their hated cousins City as well.  Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to watch it live as I'm snowed in with three foot high drifts and a county in a state of emergency.  As I've whined about mentioned several times in past posts, I don't have cable either so it may come down to me just following the live commentary.  Sometimes living in the peaceful country can really bite.

Nevertheless, I am looking forward to supporting my Gunners any way I can.  Let's go out there and grab it all - first place again with some cushion, three points, and some friggin' respect.  Let's show Patricia that she doesn't know what she's talking about.  Come On You Gunners!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!