Saturday, December 25, 2010

All I Want For Christmas

One would think with a title like the one above, this would be a post about world peace, a cure for cancer, or that no child would ever go hungry in the world ever again.  But alas, it is not about those very meaningful wishes.  And...I have all my teeth as well.  So, let's talk about my wishes for Arsenal.

  • My Numero Uno wish is for Thomas Vermaelen to return to the side in January to lead our defense.  I know that he won't be fully able to sustain whole games at first, but I think his presence on the pitch will inspire the players and fans.  It is very important that he not re-injure himself, so Wenger's long suffering patience is an important element to the Verminator's successful return.
  • I also would like Song to stop roaming quite so much.  We all know he's been given leave by the manager to do so in order to combat our competitors midfield congestion, but I think it would be better that Cesc and Jack be the ones going forward while Alex drops back.  Jack has stated he needs to hone his defensive skills in order to balance out his offensive proficiency, but we can't expect him to succeed all the time.  He's 18 years old for goodness sake. And when Song hustles back after going forward, he gives away cheap fouls due to his clunky lack of speed.  I like Alex, but he may need some competition for his place to make him make better decisions which leads me to my next wish.
  • We need another defensive midfielder to challenge Alex for his starting spot.  I'm not sure Denilson is up to the task.  His pass completion rate is impressive, but he and Song both remind me of my old Ford F150 who would never shift to 3rd gear.  He is slower than Alex tracking back on defense and has let referees and opponents sprint right past him.  I liked Rambo when he played there in that he's faster than Deni and Song, was aggressive, and had an eye for a forward pass.  I thought he also tackled and pressed better than Jack.  Who knows what he will mentally be like when he returns, but if he is operating on all physical and mental cylinders, he could put some needed pressure on Alex.  There also is a nice article on the Young Guns site on the progress of Coquelin presently out on loan to Lorient FC in Ligue 1.  He and Frimpong could also add pressure - but probably not for another season.  Here's one more idea.  Djourou was originally a defensive midfielder when he came to Arsenal.  If Vermie makes a successful comeback, why not have DJ as an option in the midfield?  Opinions?
  • I would like closure on the Almunia ordeal.  Mostly for the Spaniard.  I feel for him that his "injuries" have left him on the sidelines watching the two Poles solidify their bids for Number One and Two.  He needs to move on and Wenger needs to be honest about it.  Arsene may have already told Almunia that he's leaving in January and just lied to the press.  Let's face it, Wenger would probably sell his own mother if it meant protecting his players from the media.  Hopefully, Manuel's contract is affordable and he can find success in a less competitive league.  He seems like a genuinely nice guy and deserves some frankness.
  • Let's not forget about El Capitan.  I would love for him to find his form in the second half of the season.  Recovering from World Cup duties, hamstring injuries, and perhaps an "I didn't get to join Barcelona" hangover, our beloved Cesc peaking in the next few months would mean, I think, that Arsenal's form would follow suit.  He is as frustrated with his play as we are, and hopefully with injuries behind him, he can lead the way...followed by an in-form
  • Robin Van Persie.  Can you imagine our athletic, creative, left-footed wonder in breathtaking shape at the same time as our Skipper?  I don't know if playing him behind Chamakh is going to work out, but we all now what he's like when he gets rolling.  I salivate at the thought.
  • What about Clichy?  I think the fact that Gibbs needs to stay healthy to keep the pressure on is obvious.  But, I also think he needs a winger a head of him who is going to offer some protection and help.  I admittedly slam Clichy on a regular basis when he works his tail off to dispossess an opponent and then proceeds to dawdle which leads to the opponent winning the ball back.  Having a teammate track back to offer someone to pass to after winning a ball or to help double team an opposing player is vital, and right now Arshavin isn't doing his part. 
  • Andrey needs to be benched when he doesn't work.  He doesn't have to score every match.  He just needs to improve his workrate and help out the leftback whether it be Cichy or Gibbs.  Playing him whether he plays full team defense or not just leaves us vulnerable to attacks from the wing. 
  • I really want Maroune to outscore Drogba in our match on Monday.  I will preview the game in full probably Sunday night, but right now, I just want the Frech-born Moroccan to make more goals than the Ivory Coaster.  Didier loves to score against us.  Let him get one, Chamakh two, and there's the game.  I love Chamakh in that he is so effusive in his happiness at being at Arsenal.  His workrate is unimpeachable, and he hasn't scored since the Aston Villa game.  If Cesc is playing, I think he'll see more of the ball.
  • And of course, I would love to see Super Sammy continue his run of confident goal-scoring.  He was shackled in the Manure game, but he has a chance on Monday to get back on track.  It's just fun isn't it?  Watching him come into his own while wading past two and three defenders to score?  His attacks really add entertainment to the game and seem to lift his teammates as well.
I guess that's it for now.  'Tis the season not to be jolly - not greedy.  I hope all you Gooners have a blessed Christmas which culminates in a victory at the Emirates on Monday.  JamrockRover has predicted a 2-1 victory for us on his blog.  Sounds good to me.  Enjoy your weekend and time spent with family and friends.  I'm off to church.   Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!