Sunday, August 1, 2010

Entertaining Emirates Cup and Freddie Comes to Chicago!


Ahh...a chance to see Arsenal play without having to try and find a free online stream! The Emirates Cup kicked off yesterday with Celtic playing Lyon first before our Gunners played AC Milan. Lyon went ahead 2-0 but the Hoops fought back to tie 2-2. With the rules of the Cup (points for wins and draws AND goals), Celtic and Lyon left the first round with 3 points each. And then our boys came on.

With Song out injured, Emmanuel Frimpong got his start at holding midfield alongside Jackie. Emmanuel stated he didn't know he'd get that much playing time else he would have had his parents come to watch which makes me think Song's injury was last minute. I know he's only 18 years old, but having him as a back up for Song makes me feel more at ease than when Denilson plays the role. He's built like Song and has some fearlessness that is needed in the Premier League. With the second leg of the Cup today, Wenger will mix up his squad, but I hope to see more of Pongo (?) - Ping-Pong (?). Hmmm...we'll have to work on that one.

Fabianski started in goal and had a few good saves and decisive moments. I'm not sure if the header in by Milan was his mistake at the time (Vermie seemed to have made a mistake...gasp!) but other than that, he looked solid and confident. Yay. I hope just because he's young (with gorgeous eyes) that he can come back from last year's fiasco of a season. HOWEVER, more than that, I am hoping for a new goalie.

Let's talk about our new signings. I thought they were wonderful. Chamakh was everywhere involved in everything. My only criticism of him is he needs a stylist (just like Cesc did way back when) to do something with the hair. Ugh! But what a player. His link up play was awesome, he had a ton of energy, and his goal (what a great set-up by Shavy, 'eh?) was calm and collected in front of the box. He was subbed late in the second half, and his absence was noted as our momentum and directness suffered.

Koz surprised me. He was quick and decisive, covering his area and filling in for his teammates. He broke down several of Milan's attempts with precise tackling - and he's fast! He is a beanpole of course and as Milan is not Stoke (or Drogba-esque) it's difficult to say how he'll do in EPL games. He needs to eat lots of protein and hit the weights (which he has already admitted he needs).

All in all the match was entertaining, and I thought we looked pretty sharp for pre-season. As it is preseason however, I'm not using it as a litmus test for the 2010-2011 trial ahead. Today we take on Celtic (commentators better not bring up Eduardo, or I swear...) and Wenger stated in his post-game interview that Almunia will be starting in goal. Sigh. Why hasn't he signed for Osasuna (not 'Suna enough for me) yet? Oh right, they can't afford what is left on his contract. Can't we put him on blue-light special? I'd rather get a look at Chesney to see if his confidence matches his ability at this level. I suspect as well that DJ will start at center back after getting some time in Pongo's spot yesterday (seems I've decided on the nickname) and give Vermie a rest. Speaking of Vermie - how great is it to see that intensity and seriousness again? Just love him. I do.

Talking of love, Freddie Ljungberg has signed with the Chicago Fire! Jeane and I have landed tickets for the Fire vs Red Bulls game on the 8th. We bought the tickets in order to see Titi play, but now we get to see Titi and Freddie! Freddie is Jeane's absolute crush, and she is beside herself. I think he's cute, of course, but a bit too short for me. We're checking the Fire out today after the Emirates Cup match as they take on the LA Galaxy on Fox Soccer. We're hoping to see Freddie at least come on as a sub.

Okay, off to church, then to Jeane's for two doses of the Beautiful Game today. Does it get much better than this? Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!