Sunday, August 8, 2010

Frightening Fabianski at Pre-Season Legia Warsaw and Chicago Fire vs Red Bulls Preview


Arsenal traveled to Poland for their last pre-season game against Legia Warsaw. We won 6-5 after rallying back in the second half. We went into halftime down 3-0 with Fumbling in goal. No, I did not get to watch the match, but looked at highlights. Did we all see Fumbling trip on his own player's leg during a set piece which led to goal? Did Blackburn call over to Poland and give tips on how to push him around? Actually, it looks like he was trying to do his own share of pushing as well. Chesney started in goal for the second half and allowed two in, but in not the same fashion. And, he was not bullied, which makes my joke about EPL teams sharing tips to beat Fumbling seem even more on target. I felt bad for him last year, but after this last performance, my sympathy is at an end...and that's saying something. Put him on loan. The defense in general was in shambles. Ugh. You can' tell me that lack of confidence in the goalie had no bearing on that. If my Vermie isn't performing well - there's a reason. Legia's last goal was due to Rozicky getting a touch on the ball and then just watching the Legia player put it in goal. Was he waiting for Chesney to grab it? Anyway, offensively, we did come back from a three goal deficit with Eboue scoring a beautiful brace (bravo), Chamak-atak scored a heck of a header, JET, Gibbsey, and of course Mr. Swivel Hips Nasri all scored in the second half. I just want to quit leaking in the back. From what I read also, Pongo did not provide the protection for the back four that was needed. It's totally expected for the 18 year old to have an off game. I'm glad that it was a friendly. Let's see if he learns from it. I included highlights below, but brace yourselves. I'm just saying.

Wenger of course, says not to give the pre-season performances much weight. Ahem...we have Liverpool in a week. Even if we get new signings this week, they won't be ready for the Mugmashers. But Wenger being Wenger, he will not criticize his players in public nor run from the room screaming like a little girl in sheer panic - unlike me.

Speaking of Wenger and new signings...don't think that he's not trying to sign. We know by now that Schwarzer won't happen as Sparky was put in charge of Fulham and will never do anything to lend a hand to Arsenal. Marchetti is seemingly still a possibility. If that transfer does not happen, it's going to be Almunia as Number One. Excuse me as I run from the room screaming like a little girl yet again.

Okay, I'm back. Other news is that Sagna has backed the signing of Spahic stating he is good enough for Arsenal. Apparently, Sagna is familiar with him from the French League. Look at the picture on the website. Doesn't he look tough? He's got a scar on his face and everything! I get the feeling he would not put up with much on the pitch. He's not well known, but older and could provide coverage while the younger players are developing.

Last on the Arsenal front is a great article by Amy Lawrence who had a chance to interview Le Boss. If you have read my blog before you know that Amy is my favorite British sports columnist. Have a look - it's an in depth interview.

That's all the Arsenal news today - well sort of. Today is the day Jeane and I get to see two ex-Arsenal players in person! It's the Fire vs the Red Bulls tonight and we have tickets. True- they are nose-bleed seats, but we do not care. We're going early hoping to catch warmups and maybe autographs. Plus, we're looking to find some empty, closer seats once the game starts although Chicago's site is saying the game is nearly sold out. Which I gather is a somewhat unusual occurrence. I bet it's all due to the American Arsenal fans. I'm hoping to tape a good portion of the game and insert in tomorrow's post. It'll be my first home-made highlight video so we'll see how successful the attempt is. Freddy was interviewed about playing in Chicago and against Henry. Apparently tonight, Freddy will be playing in the creative midfield position which I have not seen him do so that should be interesting. Usually the player in that position for Chicago is Marco Pappas. I can't find any news that he is out injured so maybe he's just being rested. A shame in that I wanted to see him play that position but I'll take Freddy. Chicago's game plan is going to be shutting down (surprise) Henry and Angel. Chicago recently got rid of my least favorite defensive man RB Tim Ward who went to San Jose. I don't see this transfer as a loss as he constantly prompted me to yell at him via the television. Slow and a bean pole, he just did not seem like a passionate soccer player to me. I don't know who's going to be playing in his place, but they gotta be better than Tim.

I guess that's all for now. The post is long but there's a lot to talk about. I'll be back tomorrow with my review of the game and (hopefully) my own highlights. Until then, have a good 'un Gooners.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!