Friday, July 23, 2010

Dudu's Departure/Henry's Debut/and Hungry Young Guns

So goodbye to Eduardo who, after ignoring my telepathic plea to stay, gave us fans a nice farewell letter. I am in awe of all the sentiment given to him by most Gooners. Check out Ladyarse's blog on July 21st for a beautiful Eduardo homage video . If you are new to the Eduardo saga, or weren't around for his earlier games, take a look - it will catch you up. I could have just embedded it in my own blog, but hats off and credit to her.

It's also funny to see how Eduardo leaving has stirred up the anti-Arsenalists. I've read blogs where we are accused of being "arrogant" and "whiny". At worse I think we're sentimental. Of course you also have the bottom feeding pundits give their two cents worth about Eduardo's leaving. It's a low-down style of journalism that doesn't take into account Eduardo's rate of scoring every 2.58 games before Birmingham compared to every 5.14 after the injury. Don't know why I'm giving it any attention really, but there you are. Le Boss vents his feelings about Dudu's departure of the official website stating:

"I believe he is at the stage where he has to play and we could not guarantee him that time," said the manager after the 3-0 win at Sturm Graz, That is why I allowed him to leave. I believe he has another opportunity now. But it makes me sad twice - because it reminds me how he got injured and because he is an outstanding guy. We wish him well but he is 27 years of age now and he needs to play."

Notice that Wenger stated he is "allowing" Eduardo to leave which confirms my suspicions that Wenger wanted to try and fit him in this year but probably could not guarantee Eduardo the playing time he craved. I have to admit to harboring a bit of resentment toward Wenger for not giving Eduardo more playing time last season to work out the kinks. We were down strikers and I know Dudu had niggly injuries plaguing him, but I never gave up belief that six or seven starts in a row would have made the difference.

Coming around stateside - Thierry Henry made his debut for the NY Red Bulls yesterday in a friendly against the Spudheads. He scored a great goal which I highlight below. The Bulls went on to lose 1-2 but the real low point for me as an American was watching Henry's first American TV interview where the reporter mistook him for being Spanish and congratulated him on winning the World Cup. Ugh...I'm so embarrassed. Henry of course, handled it with aplomb but it still shows that America is not paying enough attention to this beautiful game and thus missing out. I inserted both Henry's interview and highlights of his goal below. And on a personal note, Jeane and I are going to see Titi August 8th when the Red Bulls come to Chicago to play the Fire. I know a lot of you out there have seen Henry et al play at the Emirates, but I can't tell you the thrill I feel at being able to see a Gunner (ex or not) finally play in person!

Back to Arsenal - I have to say our young 'uns are sure full of fire. I highlighted a couple of days ago Mr. Chesney who wants to vie for the number one spot as goalie. We also have Jack Wilshere, 18 years old, who after being on loan half the year to Bolton, wants to battle for a starting position at Arsenal stating his time at Bolton has made him "even more hungry". Looking at current pics on the website of Jackie training looks to me like he's filled out a bit and therefore may be more ready for further Premier rough play. One of Wenger's concerns about playing Jack last year was that his body was just not ready yet for that level. Aaron Ramsey, only a year older, broke into the first team and one can see the difference in body type, Aaron looking more full grown than Wilshere. Wenger admits he'd like Jack to get playing time at Arsenal this year rather than go out on loan but is still taking the "wait and see" approach. Håvard Nordtveit is also in Austria battling it out for time at right back (not his usual position). There's little chance of consistent playing time for this 19 year old Norwegian, but after being on loan in the Bundeliga, this guy is not shy about intentions and has been offered a new contract. If you're a fan of these younger players and want to keep up on all things youthful, I recommend the blog Young Guns.

I guess that's all for now. The boys don't play another preseason friendly until July 27th when they go up against SC Neusiedl 1919 before returning home in time for the Emirates Cup on the 31st. Hang on Gooners...regular season is just around the corner!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!