Sunday, August 15, 2010

Welcome to the EPL Koz andThanks to Pepe We Draw Liverpool 1-1


Okay, we got the first match over with thank goodness. We earned a point at a tough away game and it didn't leave a totally bad taste in my mouth but of course the usual worries remain. We had most of the possession in the first half, and I thought our defense handled themselves well. Then I had a small heart attack as Cole scissored Koz's legs causing him to be stretchered off. I - and I'm sure the rest of you - thought "Not Again!". And then more panic ensued as my mind raced to name our back up central defenders...Song? Halftime was spent cursing our lack of depth in that position until miraculously, Koz jogged out of the tunnel for the second without even a limp! Reports were that Koz was taken in for xrays as they thought he had broken his shin. Cole was kicked off with a red card.

"He had a big knock on his shin and fortunately his shin pad protected him well. We were scared that it was broken. When they moved him off the pitch the physio told me it could be broken."

Well, it wasn't broken, thank goodness. And he played the rest of the match with an egg-sized lump on his shin. That must have been uncomfortable. I think the boy's rather tougher than he looks. His first match was his baptism into the EPL and it was a baptism of fire. There was plenty of physicality and I thought he did well. He shows great promise, winning headers, and heading off players (he kept a not-so-in-form Torres in check). He did get beat once or twice, but I am looking forward to seeing him develop the rest of his game.

After the second half presumed with Koz on the pitch, I relaxed a bit. Big mistake as Shavy and Jack both let a pass go astray at the Liverpool end which N'gog booted home past Almunia. It was a nice shot, and I can't say if Almunia should have saved it as I am prejudiced against the guy in the first place. We all want a new goalie and when I see Almunia ball watching and frog jumping onto his own players during corners, it's hard for me to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway, we seemed to come a bit undone after that goal and we struggled against a 10-man Liverpool. Shavy continued to do nothing, Nasri seemed to disappear after having a good first half, Diaby kept trying to hang onto the ball instead of mopping up and dishing out which is his job as Song's fill-in, and Almunia kept making Jeane hide her eyes during all corners. Theo and Tommy came on in the 59th minute for Sami and Shavy. Tommy seemed to have an immediate impact running around passing and creating, and had a great shot on goal that Reina had to get a finger on it to tip it over the bar. Tommy, in my opinion, was the spark plug that got us going again. Theo had a great free kick that just missed and then finally, Chamakh dove in for a header that knocked off the post, into Pepe's hands, and into the net. I have to say two things about the goal. First, Chamakh has a touch of fearlessness about him that is going to scare goalies and two - Pepe, that's what you get for partaking in Cesc-gate when it was none of your damn business.

Some drawbacks were that Koz earned two yellows in the second half with a kick to Kuyt's ummm...privates and a handball. The handball looked incidental and that last yellow seemed harsh.

So we take on newly promoted Blackpool next Saturday with one defender down anyway, despite his resiliency. I don't want to think about that right now. Blackpool will be coming off of a 4-0 win over Wigan and will be full of confidence. Anyway, I think overall, we did okay considering we were missing three starters and still have a frog/monkey for a goalie. I'm not giving up hope as Wenger is still behind the scenes, trying to make things happen. I think. That's all for now. Enjoy the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!