Friday, August 6, 2010

Finally!! Cesc's Official Statement after Members Day 2010


It's finally over. The mouthpieces can bark all they want now, but it will be meaningless. Cesc put out his official statement today putting to rest the rumours of his leaving after showing up at Members Day yesterday. From what I read (particularly an uncharasteristiaclly optimistic LeGrove posting), Cesc not only showed up but was announced as Captain and World Cup Winner to mad applause. Apparently, the fans gave him quite a roar when he came out. Considering his statement only came out today, the fans' reactions could have been unpredictable. Thankfully, those who showed up were a class act and cheered him on. Reports also say that he looked happy to be there which is reflected in the statement on the club site:

"Firstly I would like to apologise to all the Arsenal fans for not speaking sooner about my future but I have not known what I was going to do until this moment.

"I cannot deny that joining a club like Barcelona was not an attractive move for me. This was the club where I learnt my football, it is my home town where my friends and family are and a club where I have always dreamed of playing. There are not many players in this world who would not want to play for Barcelona.

"I have had many conversations with Arsène Wenger both in person and over the phone over the last few months and although the content of those conversations will remain private, the conclusion is that Barcelona have had two formal offers rejected by Arsenal.

"I am a professional and I fully understand that it is Arsenal's prerogative not to sell me.

"I owe a lot to the Club, manager and the fans and I will respect their decision and will now concentrate on the new season ahead with Arsenal.

"I can assure all the fans that now the negotiations have ended I will be 100 percent focused on playing for Arsenal.

"I am an Arsenal player and as soon as I step out on to the pitch, that is the only club I will be thinking about.

"I am looking forward to the start of the season and putting this speculation behind me."


I know you could have just read this on the site, but I love it and wanted to quote it in its entirety. The first words out of his mouth is an apology to us fans. He must know how tortuous the past few months have been for us. Thank you Cesc. Apology accepted. Was there any doubt we would not forgive him? Really I think the media should apologize more than Cesc. As I've stated before, his statement of interest in moving to Barcelona this season did not catch me by surprise. We all know his roots (also pointed out in the statement)and that he is close to being good enough to make the starting squad. Plus - and I think this was a determining. factor for Cesc - our season ended miserably. He ended his season by sacrificing a limb while others failed to track back on defense or look as if they gave a whit about being on the field. I think Cesc gave Wenger a warning about bolstering the team in places (defense) and having competition for places on the squad so everyone would feel they'd have to earn their spot (Denilson anyone?). All in all the first part of the statement I found to be forthright, honest and caring.

The last part of the statement also highlights Cesc's maturity as a professional. He recognizes that the transfer possibility is null and void and is ready to focus on Arsenal winning trophies. I love it. As fan who will never think to boo an Arsenal player, I applaud your focus and dedication to the Beautiful Game Cesc. Let's hope we can repay his professionalism with some silverware. We're getting close, you Gooners - get ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!