Monday, August 9, 2010

Fire Hold the Red Bulls 0-0 as Former Fellow Invincibles Meet!

I kept pinching myself as Jeane and I traveled to Toyota Park to see the Fire play the Red Bulls. Titi vs Freddie. Even while log jammed on 94 for half an hour because of Chicagoans heading home after a weekend on Lake Michigan, I was still ecstatic. Jeane and I couldn't believe our luck! We had bought tickets to the game in order to see Henry play. But then, Freddie joined the Fire and our excitement doubled! Plus, I was curious to see how professional soccer looked live and hoped the MLS wouldn't let us down. Let's face it. Trying to get hooked on the MLS after becoming addicted to the English Premier League is a bit like driving in city after earning your license on the Autobahn. So I guess there was a small amount of trepidation riding sidecar with the excitement. Upon arrival, my trepidation evaporated. Toyota Park is accessible, clean - and best of all- an intimate setting. It only seats around 22,000 so you can see how there would not a bad seat in the house. Jeane and I cheated just a little after warm ups started by moving down six rows. It was a great view. Another pregame bonus was that the match programs were free and Jeane got a free poster of Freddie to boot. Thierry came out first for warmups. I couldn't believe he was right there in front of me! One of the best footballers in the world and an Arsenal legend. Then Freddie came out and Jeane almost leaped over the railing when she saw him. I'm kidding...sort of. I have pictures, but the footage I was hoping to get of the game is incredibly amateurish. I have included a few original shots for you all though. The game did not disappoint. Don't get me wrong, we weren't zooming through German countryside at 200 mph or anything (I'm staying with the Autobahn metaphor here), but we were definitely entertained. One of the reasons Freddie was bought was to add some attack to the offense - something they've been missing since Blanco left. I'd say Freddie fits the bill. He was all over the place playing more of the creative midfield position rather than out on the wing, but he hooked up nicely with Brian McBride several times. Henry made a couple of decent runs and had a niced shot at the net at the 20th minute, but Fire goalie - 21 year old Johnson - made a good stop. He actually made seven fine saves. And then my heart got broken. The crowd began to boo Henry every time he touched the ball. He ended up leaving the pitch right before halftime because of a groin pull, and got jeered off the field. One idiot yelled "Can't even last a half Henry!" It's his preseason you moron! Anyway, the rest of the game was a bit heavy hearted for me. Freddie had a chance to score right before the half ended. A nice one/two played between him and McBride should have resulted in the Fire going up one-nil but Freddie ended up miskicking it which almost resulted in a goofy pirouette while missing most of the ball. In all fairness though, it looked to me as though the ball took a bad bounce. It was the best chance of the night. Hmmm. Chicago's best chance came from an ex-Arsenal player. Red Bulls' best chance came from an ex-Arsenal player. Conclusion...Arsenal Rocks of course! I also got to see Marco Pappa play (I had a great time yelling "Pappa" all game - who wouldn't?), and he is someone to keep an eye on. He's almost EPL fast with a good first touch and likes to be direct to the goal. He also sees the field well and had some nice passing. He and Freddy were on the pitch at the same time, surprisingly, and did not get in each other's way. The last 15 minutes of the match were a snooze fest, and I'm guessing the players tired quickly due to the intense humidity. That or the Fire were happy with a draw. The last 15 minutes also allowed newly acquired (on loan) Mexican international Nery Castillas to make his debut for The Fire. Considering Chicago's huge Mexican population, you can imagine his reception. He looked a little ill at ease as demonstrated by three offsides call. I'm sure he'll warm up for the last half of the MLS season. All in all, a great time was had by all and I can now say I've seen professional soccer played live. I have to admit as well that I'm looking forward to following the Fire until October. I've included the only good video footage I shot. It's not bad in that you get to see Freddie try a back heel and dive for a foul. Plus, if you listen closely you can hear Jeane scream "Don't you hurt him!" at the offending Red Bull. Hilarious. That's it for now. Tomorrow will bring Arsenal news - exciting I hope (Given signs, perhaps?) Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!