Monday, August 16, 2010

Frogman is Joined by Mr. Potato Head/Wenger's Pre-Game Interview/ Blackpool Preview.


Frog Man...Monkey Man...otherwise known as Almunia. The signing of a new keeper has yet to happen so that means our current Number One will probably be in goal. Of course Wenger could put Fumbling in goal as Blackpool could be considered (crossing toes and fingers while subsequently rubbing rabbit's foot and throwing a pinch of salt over my shoulder)an easy win for us. I know all of us are sick to death of writing and reading about the Schwarzer soap opera but apparently we put in another bid for him this week...for the same amount we put forth in May? Really? How weird is that? How are bids communicated? Email? Is the mail boy/assistant at Arsenal bored and pranking Hughes for fun? Well, that would be kind of funny...Anyway, it was promptly rejected and Sparky had a thing to say about that accusing our club of trying to unsettle their Number One. I think Hughes is just blowing smoke and buying time as he's trying to line up a replacement for Schwarzer (I just realized how much I hate typing his name - it makes my left pinkie spasm). I have to admit I did not know what to think of Mark after the World Cup. He didn't have the best showing (nor the best defenders in front of him). But teammate Danny Murphy has come out to speak about the loss that would be felt if Schwarzer left and went on to say:

"It's a difficult one because, for me, he's been one of the best two or three keepers in the Premier League for the past few seasons and he's a fantastic guy," said Murphy."

"He's a good leader on the pitch and a wonderful goalkeeper. I didn't realise how good he was until I played with him."

Isn't that what we need? Someone in whom the players can place their trust. Someone to look to who has experience. And it sounds as if he's been kept a secret if I, Murphy, and most of the Gooners I talk to didn't seem to have an opinion before the Cup. Let's hope this secret was kept for all the good reasons. So in the end, it's more of the Wait and See Game. Wenger himself, of course, could not be drawn into answering a question about bidding on Schwarer stating:

"I am not responsible for the Fulham statements," said the Frenchman.

"I never speak about the transfers, the offers, anything made about the players, because we have so many talks in football that are never concluded.

"It is always simple if you want to buy a player and the club doesn't agree: they say no so there is not a lot to talk about."


Arsene"s statement comes from his his pregame interview today. He also spoke about injuries (Frimpong out for 6-9 months, Nasri out a month, DJ and Song are back, Cesc may start, etc) and about Gallas signing for the Spuds. Wenger is Mr. Class and only wishes Gallas well. I try to emulate class as often as possible but find it trying in this instance. Gallas is now officially Mr. Potato Head which I think out trumps Almunia's Frogman nickname in terms of sheer shamefulness.

Other than that, the only other item Wenger discussed was his maybe-I-will or maybe-I-won't - buy more players. He did admit he's short on center backs and says that he's monitoring Squillaci but no close to signing yet. Like I said...wait and see.

Before I close I wanted to direct you all to the FanShare project that Arsenal have begun. I really am a fan of a club that invents and creates with class and vision. Here is an opportunity for an everyday run of the mill fan to own stock in Arsenal...if you have a U.K. bank account. This of course means that we fans Stateside - or any fan overseas - do not have the opportunity to invest...yet. If you want to find out more go to www.arsenalfanshare.com or listen to 'Blogger's Arsecast for this week as he has an interview wtih Tim Payton from the AST.

I guess that's all for now. I don't really know a whole bunch about Blackpool other than they spanked Wigan 4-0 which means they need a spanking in return. That's my logic and I'm sticking to it. I guess that's my preview,too. You all have a great night 'cause tomorrow's Gunner Time. 'Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!