Sunday, May 9, 2010

We Seal Third Place(4-0) but Why the Empty Seats?

Sorry about the lateness of the posting. I am recovering today from a bout of nastiness of which I'm sure you don't really want to know -especially if you are eating lunch.

Anyway, our boys ended the season with stamping on a weakened Fulham side. Glad to see the score no matter how skeletal the opponent's team was. Fumbling had a clean sheet although all reports (I didn't watch , remember?) were that he looked nervous in goal. Joe, Joe, where for art thou Joe? So, with obtaining our third place, making it to Champions League again this time without having to go through the qualifying stages, being financially stable and not in horrible debt (like Manure and Liverpool), not being owned by alledged criminals, why oh why were there so many empty seats at the Emirates? Especially for the Lap of Appreciation which is tradition at the end of the season? Watch the video below of the Lap and notice the empty seats.

Do you know what I would give to just be able to attend ONE game over there? Am I the only fan -American or otherwise- who feels this way? We have a beautiful stadium to boot...and empty seats. So I say to those who have fallen away because we're ended up in third place (last year was fourth, remember?)...Shame.On. You. I know what you're thinking. Another year without trophies. Hey, I want trophies. And I have vented on this newly born site many times my frustrations about the poor performances of some of the players, but look what we have. And with Wenger investing slowly and wisely each year in new players, just think about where we can be. Do I want a new keeper? Yes. Do I want a solid center defense? Yes. Do I want the club to take a good long look at why our players are the most injury prone boys in the whole league? Yes. Am I going to quit being a Gooner? Quit rooting on our squad? Would I throw away a chance to applaud the youngest team in the EPL at their last home stand of the season after they had shown moments of greatness, entertainment, and persistence through crazy injuries to themselves and their teammates? NO. I certainly am not a member of the AKB (Arsene Knows Best)club but neither am I reactionary like a child who has to wait for her dessert. Come on - yes, trophies are really what we all want but I don't want us to go bankrupt getting there. There is a responsible way to obtain silverware, it just requires patience and seeing the improvements along the way. When we do win the League - and I believe we will next year - it will be all the sweeter because of the way we won. I truly believe that. Call me delusional. Call me soft. Call me overly optimistic. Just keep calling me a Gooner!

Now, I'm off. Tune in tomorrow for news on the Fire (they looked better) and my more rational and less ranting analysis of the season. Adieu to our boys in Red until August. You'll be missed...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!