Thursday, May 6, 2010

Spuds Are Nipping at Our Heels...More Transfer Rumors...and the Fire's Collins John

Okay, now we know who can threaten our third place position on Sunday...the Spurs as they are now only two points behind us after beating Manless City 1-0. Actually, the only ones who can take that third place from us is ..ourselves. And I don't doubt our ability to do just that. Course, Spuds would have to win their game too this weekend against the mighty relegation giants - Burnley. Yeah. That's a tough game. The official site has been fairly quiet about the outcome of the Blackburn game, just as it was after the Wigan loss. The only player who has spoken about the season this week has been Nasri who pretty much whined that Arsenal deserves more credit for their season considering all the injuries. Can you tell I'm a bit beleaguered? I know we've had more injuries than most, but the lack of desire shown by the players in these last few games doesn't leave me with much sympathy. Onto more transfer rumors. There are quite a few popping up every day in the British tabloids which means there is probably no substance to them, but...I'd thought I'd draw attention to a few of them for you. Gianluigi Buffon aka "Gigi" is a goalie with Juventus. Full Name Gianluigi Buffon Birth Date January 28, 1978 Birth Place Carrara, Italy Height 6' 3'' (1.91m) Weight 183 lbs (83 kg) Age 32 Position Goalkeeper Squad No 1 His ranking is only a 5.0 even though he is regarded higher by my colleagues and many sports announcers. Gigi is also older than many of the other goalies that we were linked with, but not too old that an investment would be wasted on him. We'll see. I'm giving you this information half-heartedly to say the least because I don't trust what Wenger is saying as he seems to contradict himself when it comes to buying this summer. Plus, Gigi just isn't as cute as Mr. Hart. Jeane, what do you think? There's also a rumor that Wenger might be going after center back Pape Malickou Diakhate of Dynamo Kiev. Full Name Pape Diakhate Birth Date June 21, 1984 Height 6' 1" (1.85m) Weight 174 lbs (79 kg) Age 25 Position Defender Ranking 5.0 I can't find out more about him other than he is from Senegal and has played in both the French and Russian leagues ( on loan) this 2009/2010 season. I'm not sure I want us to buy him considering his height and weight. He is suppose to be pretty quick and strong. I guess I was hoping for someone bigger to pair with my Vermie. Some "hulk" of a man who would scare away all members of opposing squads. Hmmm...who could we call on? How about this guy? So what if he's a little green around the gills. Sorry, I just could not help myself. By the way, has anyone noticed a pattern with these rumored transfers? No? Well, I'll give you one more...this transfer target was a rumor last summer and confirmed at that time as a target for Wenger by Wenger. And that player is striker Maroune Chamakh currently playing in the French league for Bordeaux. Name Marouane Chamakh Birth Date January 10, 1984 Height 6' 1" (1.85m) Weight 154 lbs (70 kg) Age 26 Position Forward Squad No 29 Ranking 5 Have you noticed all the 5's? I'm wondering if Marouane a bit too wiry for the Premier League. He's had 10 goals in 36 games. That's an OK average I guess. Comes to scoring every 3.6 games (who said I can't do math?). To put things in perspective, our own Bendy has scored 6 goals in 23 games which puts him at 3.83 and Robin is at 8goals in 15 games which is a much better goal every 1.88 games. Anyway, I also found some videos of Chamakh's goals/assists on youtube and have inserted them below. Take a look and tell me what you think. Okay - to answer my own question, the thing that binds all these players together is...they have great names!!! Come on now - think of all the possibilities next season as you are sitting/standing, screaming at your television. "Oooh yea Papeeee (ala Will Smith's Miami song). "Chamack you numchuck" or "That's our Chak-attack". What about Gigi? Do I even have to give examples? Plus his last name? "Go Buffy -the -Spuds-Slayer". I have to confess that just the thought of calling a 6'3" Italian man "Buffy" is giving me the giggles. Anyway, you get my drift about the possibilities. And in keeping with the name-game theme, I have finally kept my word about highlighting a Chicago Fire member - Collins John. Come on! It's the reverse name of an alcoholic drink! Oh, wait..that's a Tom Collins. Oh well, I needed some sort of segue way. What makes Collins interesting to me is that he (drum roll please) used to play in the EPL. He was an up and comer at Fulham. He had an outstanding year his rookie season at 18 years of age and then fell apart. He's bounced all over the place and at the ripe age of 24 is trying to put his tattered football career back together in the MLS. He has one goal and one assist in five games so far. I think he'll be interesting to watch which is something that will help deaden the pain of watching the games. Sigh. Click here for more background on Mr. John-John. See, it's starting already. To update you all on the Fire's season, we are currently sitting in third place (it's early) with triple deuces - 2 wins, 2 draws, and 2 losses. Next game is 3:00 PM CST against Toronto. The game is being shown on MY50 which is WPWR Chicago. I guess that's it for now. Just so you know, I'm not taking any of these transfer rumors seriously until the official Arsenal site confirms. The only one I have any faith in right now is Chak-a-khan. See how great the name is? I'll be back with a preview of our last game of the season. Have a good one...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!