Saturday, May 8, 2010

Fulham Preview-More Rumors, and Can We Please Sign Brede Hangeland? Pretty Please?


Wow, this season has flown by and the last match of the season is upon us. I am not looking forward to the summer lull. Since becoming officially addicted to this game, searching for news during the time off is excruciating. The lack of news is already evident. Arsenal is barely present as I scrutinize the news and gossip on the net. Oh well, let's get on with the preview.

Our last match is against Fulham who are ending their season, unlike us, on a high note by making it to the final of the Europa Cup. The first time in the history of the club. Their manager Rod Hodgeson was up for Manager of the Season but was usurped by Redknapp as Spurs have qualified for the Champions League for the first time. I guess 'Arry won over Roy because he took the Spudheads up from near relegation last year to fourth this year. And in fourth they must stay. Right? Well, that will take an intensity from the boys that has been lacking since we got beat out of Champions League. Arshavin is still back in the squad and will likely start as will RVP. Clichy is a maybe for the game and the others who missed out on Blackburn will not be back in. Song, Bendy, and Rosicky are all still out. I'm sure this match will also see us having a last look at some players in an Arsenal jersey. Silvestre and maybe Sol (although that will break my heart). Who is starting between the sticks? Almunia is available but will he start or will Wenger give Fumbling, Flappy, Flacid Fabianski another chance?
As I stated last blog, Fulham may start a weaker 11 because of wanting to save starters for the Cup final on Wednesay. But, if Fulham are on a roll, having the same players continue to play as a unit for consistency's sake could mean Roy may put our his usual starters. Either way, our boys need to play like their lives -not just the third place standing- depend on a win. At least we're at home and Fulham's away record is not nearly as successful as their home.

Okay, onto rumors. This is has been the favorite part of my blog the past few days is looking up these (imaginary I'm sure) possible signings. Up next is goalie Diego Lopez from Villareal

Full Name Diego Lopez
Birth Date November 3, 1981
Birth Place Spain
Height 6' 5" (1.96m)
Weight 192 lbs (87 kg)
Age 28
Position Goalkeeper
Squad No 13
Diego has 36 matches 105 saves and 9 clean sheets. His ranking is...5. Another 5. Sigh. On the upside I have to admit I like this photo of him because he has his knee up as he catches the ball. Reminds me of Jens. Nothing will keep an opposing team out of a goalie's way as worrying about a knee to the kidneys, or the groin, or the...ahem. You get the drift. On the downside, his name is pretty uninspiring.


Next up is Edin Dzeko of VFL Wolfsburg a team in the German Bundesliga
Full Name Edin Dzeko
Birth Date March 17, 1986
Height 5' 11" (1.82m)
Weight 176 lbs (80 kg)
Age 24
Position Forward
Squad No 9
Ranking: Yep, you guessed it...5
Edin has 21 goals in 33 games which is pretty sweet but I doubt very much that Wenger will buy him as Chamakh seems like a done deal. And I really don't think he's going to buy two strikers. He needs defense which leads me to address part of the title in today's post.

Brede Hangeland of Fulham. According to Wenger,he has never tried to sign Brede. Which I think is a shame. Check out his dimensions.

Full Name Brede Hangeland
Birth Date June 20, 1981
Birth Place Norway
Height 6' 4" (1.94m)
Weight 179 lbs (81 kg)
Age 28
Position Defender
Squad No 5
He also has a ranking of 6.4! I could totally see this Norwegian playing next to my favorite Belgian, who by the way, has a ranking of 6.8. But I digress. Brede is still under contract with Fulham, so his price may be too costly for our thrifty manager. First things first though. Wenger has stated he will not pursue buys until the end of the season which is Monday.

Alright. I guess that's all for now. Hopefully, I will be back with a glowing post match report. So, for the last time this season, I will say - Go You GOOOOONERS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!