Sunday, October 31, 2010

Song Sings Sweet Relief

Okay, our win yesterday was definitely  not the trampling I was hoping for.  Not the easy 3-0 cruise one could expect from playing at home against a team at the very bottom of the table.  It was nail-biting, frustrating, hard fought, and in the end, hard won.  I have to say though, that I think this win actually did more for us than if we had brushed the Hammers aside as easily as one sweeps up those little dust bunnies that hide under the bed.  And can you believe the winner came - again - from our defensive midfielder?  A dangerous, diving header won the match.  Say what you want about Song's defensive capabilities.  I myself have been vehemently critical of his going forward while potentially leaving the back unguarded.  And I freely admit to yelling at him on TV for late tackles that result in needless fouls.  But, this guy wants to win.  He has been clutch offensively for the second time this season and perhaps deserves some attenuation of disapproval.  Maybe the guy knows what he's doing and his teammates  Wenger seemed surprised also of his going forward so often which makes me wonder if he allowing Song to surge?  I thought he had perhaps instructed him to do so.  Hmmm...

Other positives I drew from yesterday were that we again gained a clean sheet.  Our goal differential was only +1 so we gained no ground on Chelsea, but I think the goose egg on the other end is more important.  All of our back four were solid and focused yesterday,  Even Clichy, who does not have to worry about Gibbsy breathing down his neck for a few weeks, seemed to concentrate the whole match.  Adding to a great defensive performance was his assist  (off his right foot) for the goal.  Terrific.  Koz and Squillaci look like a good team and Sagna was rock-solid in the back and a threat going forward.

Let's talk about the keeper.  Fabianski was not called upon very often yesterday as West Ham only had five shots on goal. He did have to contend with four corners and a handful of free kicks.  I thought he commanded his area very well and had to chuckle when I saw him tug Fabregas into position for a corner kick.  His positioning was dead on as the corner was cleared by Cesc's header.  I would have to think you would need some self-belief to man handle your Captain that way.  To me, that move spoke volumes.

What else?  With only one goal scored out of 23 shots on target, one could understand if a team's head went down.  A season ago, frustration could have led to petulant behavior, rash judgments and giving up.  Arsenal did not do that yesterday.  Cesc kept trying to create   performing better in the last 20 minutes than the previous 60+ (some of that may be due to getting treatment at halftime for a tight hamstring).  Sami finally figured out that someone needed to do something different offensively and shot 35 feet out on a free kick - nearly making it.  He also was king of winning back the balls lost through bad passing or dispossession.  Theo and Bendy gave a needed shot in the arm for the offense.  I would think that come midweek when we travel the Ukraine, Arshavin may get another "rest" so Theo can strut his stuff in Europe.  If I were any defense in the world right now, that kid would scare the crap out of me.

All in all, I'd say we are developing good habits.  Winning habits that could lead us to the tip top of the Table in May - or to a Championship in June.  The mistakes we're making are fewer and the retifications for those mistakes on the rise.  That good feeling I had before the Manchester City game is still there and rising.  And once again, I cannot wait for our next game.

Later Gooners...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!