Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I Gotta Admit - I Miss the Bromance



See what happens when I decide to be self-indulgent and write about moi? I can't seem to stop. Oh well, until this Saturday when our boys take the field again, the Interlull continues for me, so I have no choice but to persist in the same vein, do I? Ahem.

I discussed last time that in my boredom I was reviewing Arseblog's archive of Arsecasts because of my recent discovery of them. I just finished listening to the 2007-2008 and in particular the blogcast with Amy Lawrence in which they ('Blogs and Amy) are discussing the chemistry between the players on the pitch. How they all seemed to love each other and were playing their hearts out for one another. Remember that? It was then that I realized something had been missing the past few seasons besides trophies. As a fan, I was missing the same thing...the Bromance. More specifically, the chemistry between Cesc and Flamini.

In Flamini's last season for Arsenal, he once again surprised all by cementing an opportunity at midfield (and cementing Gilberto's exile) and played alongside Cesc. Well, he wasn't exactly by his side during matches as the living, breathing dynamo was all over the pitch tackling and harassing the opponents. Doing the dirty work that allowed Cesc to do his magic. He never seemed to run out of energy or attitude. He's not the biggest player, but he stood up well to the bullies of the EPL. He also loved his teammates unreservedly. Even Wenger had to admit losing Flamini changed the dynamic of the team and Cesc lost his partner from one of the most successful and effective midfield double acts in Arsenal history.

It wasn't just that they were both technically gifted and hated losing. There was genuine affection and appreciation. Understanding and anticipation. Their different personalities balanced each other. Flamini was bossy and shouted direction to players on the field. Cesc inspired by example. There was...a definite feeling of brotherhood.

I think we're missing that right now.

Don't get me wrong, there is camaraderie between players. The guys in the photo below, for example, meeting up and going out (and playing some game I've never heard of). Chamakh has stated he likes to hang around his teammates. When someone scores a goal, they celebrate together. I just don't get the feeling it's the same thing. Song doesn't harrie the opponent in order to protect Cesc. He tries to shut down the midfield, (when he's not bursting forward - groan). Eboue is supposedly a laugh in the dressing room. But a brotherhood? I don't see it.

The ironic thing is, one of Wenger's goals of the Project Youth was creating this circle of brotherhood. Young men going through their professional growth at the same time, going through the same growing pains - becoming a family. As I said, there is a sense of that, but the sacrifice of one for the other on the pitch, I think, has diminished since 2008. And that kind of symbiosis is hard to recreate.



Anyway, that's what I get for listening to the oldies but goodies. The comparison trap. I wonder if Mathieu was still around this last summer would Cesc have tried to leave for Barfelona? Maybe. Maybe not. I get the feeling that if we had done everything - and I have my doubts that we did - to keep the Flam-half of this tandem, perhaps we would have obtained silverware, team chemistry would have been even more uplifted, and we could have gone on to bigger and better things. Maybe Cesc wanted to leave this summer because he didn't have that quality and committment playing beside him.

Yea - I bet he misses the bromance too.

Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!