Sunday, October 17, 2010

I Have a Lot to Learn

The drawback to being a student of this game is that occasionally - okay maybe more often than "occasionally" - I am wrong in my observations. It really does rub me raw that I'm not versed in the details, the strategy, and the formations of the game I have come to love so very much. If this was basketball, I could dialogue about defenses, presses, offensive mismatches, and the classic pick and roll. But alas, I never played soccer and consequently, I think, lost out on a vital element that aids in the creation of the knowledgeable fan.

Take my last post for example. I gave a brief diatribe against Diaby for what I considered his encumberment of our counter attacks. I did note that he created so many of them, but then made one too many passes, or did not pass, and the attack was lost. After posting, I went online to view other bloggers' opinions of the match and players' performances. I found really no one who shared my viewpoint of Diaby. In fact, most of them gave him quite the high rating. It was then that I thought maybe I'm not an experienced enough fan yet to foist my opinion upon others? Maybe I should go back to just reading posts, watching games, and listening to my more soccer-learned friends. I was, I have to admit, a bit disheartened.

The only problem with this idea is that- well, I enjoy the writing. It allows me to get all this football stuff in my head out and on paper...virtual paper. Knowing I have a post to write after the match forces me to watch the game more closely also, trying to pick up on the little things...who's marking well, who's winning headers, etc. I guess I just have to bite the bullet and keep learning, watching, and admitting sometimes I don't know what I'm talking about. Sigh.

Onto things Arsenal. One of my favorite former players is returning to Emirates. No - it's not Bobby although I do think he's dreamy. It's Eduardo of course. I think he's the only player I would cheer for if he scored against us at the Emirates. We are all watching at Jeane's tomorrow at 1:45 PM (late lunch break) and I hope we can hear the uproar of cheering I'm sure the Arsenal faithful will give him. I understand that he is being currently used as a utility player but hope his coach gives him a break and some more time on the pitch. I do realize I'm being a bit too sentimental here. Sorry folks, that's just me.

What else? Our Captain is back for the match but there is a chance he will start on the bench as Wenger wants to be cautious. I like cautious. Let's give him 30 - 45 minutes tomorrow and then have him back for the very important City game on Saturday. I know I'm getting a head of myself here, but I really want to beat them -to a pulp if possible - this season.

Of course the press has been full of inflammatory headlines with moderate content regarding the Red Card against Jack and Birmingham's reaction. I'm not going to direct you to any of it because it's ridiculous. I have to agree with Wenger here in that we will always be wrong. When one speaks out passionately about a belief, one puts a bulls eye on the back. That's just the way it is. All we can do as supporters is get behind our manager, cut the brake lines in the cars of those hypocrites who point fingers at Arsenal, and show our class. Ahem.

I think that's it for today. Remember, if I need some soccer schooling, I am open to the educationally-intended comment. I appreciate them - and you my fellow Gooners. Until tomorrow...GO YOU GUNNERS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!