Sunday, October 10, 2010

My Final Conversion Ingredient: I Tip My Hat to Mr. Arseblog

Well, this Interlull is proceeding at a Snaaiiilll's Paaaccce so I guess I am going to continue talking about...myself. You all have been incredibly indulgent allowing me to do so. I have to admit that I feel much less isolated and much more informed about the status of soccer around the world. Prior to posting the last two articles, I just assumed soccer was the dominant sport in countries other than the States. I was wrong. So thank you for all commenting on how cricket, baseball and other sports sometimes bump our beloved game to a lower tier in your country. How you are staying true to Arsenal is encouraging. Love it.

I'm not sure if what I'm going to discuss next is in keeping with proper blogging etiquette. I'm sure I will hear about it if it is not and apologize in advance if I'm making a great big faux pas. But in keeping with the theme of my conversion to the Beautiful Game, I thought I should give more of a look to someone who is such a staple in the blogging, soccer community, and Arsenal world: Mr. Arseblog himself. I probably did not even have to give you the web address as he's so famous - but in case you are a new fan...it is a must read for you.

As stated in previous post, Mr. Blogs was influential in the development of my education and Arsenal devotion. Here's how it happened. Jeane and I used to work at the same organization for awhile at the beginning of my Gunner schooling. She said to me one day "You have to check out this blog - Doc reads it everyday. It's hilarious". Okay. So I did. I don't remember the topic. I do remember thinking "Boy, this guy cusses a lot" and that it was funny and made me think. Reading the blog ran a parallel route to my watching the games. I would usually read the post following a match. If I didn't watch a match, I didn't read the post. And like not missing the team if I didn't watch them, I did not miss reading Arseblog.

Fast forward two years later. I am becoming more interested and more informed about the game and about Arsenal. I am now reading the blog twice a week at least and catching Jeane off guard by asking "Did you read his post today?". "No...I haven't had time". Oh...crap, no one to discuss it with. I would advise her to read it or break it down for her. By now, I'm used to the swearing and even the "C" word - which for you folks who are not in the States is the MOTHER of all bad words and would produce gasps from most people if they heard it. But- just in his blog- it's not bothering me. -SIDENOTE: Jeane and I would discuss the use of that word as it appears many times in other UK blogs as well. We've come to the conclusion that maybe it doesn't mean the same over there as here? We think it's a difference in culture. Okay - really we have no idea so maybe someone could inform me. - Where was I? Oh, right...

Fast forward to three years ago. I bought a Blackberry. It also was instrumental in turning me into a blog reading lunatic in that...it was my only Internet access at home. I live as cheaply as possible as social workers earn a meagre wage but treated myself here. I was able to get the blog every morning! I could have it sent to my email and read it on the go! I discovered Goodplaya, Eastlower, Le Grove, Goonerholic, and others. I spent an hour every morning - getting up an hour earlier to do it mind you - just reading blogs about Arsenal and checking ESPN. That did it. I learned loads - not just about our boys and team - but about soccer, transfers, tournaments and more. I was hooked.

The 2009-2010 season marked an even advanced step in my mania. Obviously, I started a blog which I then imported to oleole.com. There I discovered the footballing fan community which lead to more blog reading (there can't be too much, can there?). I'm currently, and slowly, making friends. And due to the responses I received to the last post - discovered like-minded Gooners like myself who do not live in England. But...the other thing I discovered was the Arsecast.

Yep. I had kind of just ignored it over the last several years. But, having a smart phone , I opted to start listening every Friday on my way to work. What a delight! I'm sure we all have our favorites. I love when Amy Lawrence from the Observer is a guest and I've learned so much from The Man in the Bar. Let me tell you, when the Blogs has no Arsecast because of Interlull, Summerlull, vacation or whatever ...I am deeply disappointed. That was the case this last Friday. No one can blame him if there's no news to discuss, so what did I do to lessen my distress? Did I just ignore the gap left in my Friday morning routine? Noooooo...I started listening to old Arsecasts. Jeesh...I think I need some help. Seriously. However, it has been enlightening in that I have seen a pattern with the concerns about the team and its performance. Defense and goalies have been a concern for four years now...and not all of it has been addressed as we fans would like. I also discovered that I had made, and published, a mistake. I assumed from various Arseblog posts that the term "Mugsmasher" was a common nickname for Liverpool players. Ummm. That's not right. I realized from past casts that it's 'Blogs' term for his brother the Liverpool fan because he once broke an Arsenal mug owned by 'Blogs. See, mania has a payoff. Insight and self-correction is important, you know.

That brings us up to present day. Who knows what will happen next in my Gooner evolution? A trip to the Emirates, I think, would be the final chapter. Maybe I can win one if 'Blogs offers a trip as a prize. One of these days, I may make a very long distance call and leave a voicemail for him in response to a game, a question, a contest, or just to tell him he makes my mornings. I'm working my way up to that I think.

Until then, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Reading too many blogs, laughing while I'm driving listening to an Arshavin skit, and attempting to affect the world of Arsenal blogs in my own small way. Have a great day Gooners.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!