Saturday, October 2, 2010

Beating Chelsea - What It's Going to Take

We've got a big game tomorrow. That's my understatement of this season. Even with the heart of our squad out with injuries, I still believe we can do it. We can get a result - either a draw or a win because, I think, we have two advantages over Chelsea. 1) Our team has moved forward. We've added to our squad, trying to shore up deficits. We didn't just add in number, but in age and experience. Both Chamakh and Squillaci have a lot of experience and continue to adapt to the pace and power of the Premier League. Koz, while extremely inexperienced, has displayed a lack of fear and a propensity for learning quickly. These additions have also given us the other advantage. 2) We have more depth this year. Yes, Cesc is out with an injury along with Gibbs, Vermaelan, Theo, Alumunia, Van Persie, Bendtner and of course Ramsey. Last year when injuries ran rampant through the squad, we really didn't have answers - not answers that anybody liked anyway. Silvestre for Vermie (or anyone) and Sol for Gallas. Arshavin playing in place of Bendtner and Van Persie. And Nasri was just not up to the task of taking on the creative midfielder role when Cesc broke his leg. And then there was Fabianski for Almunia. Oops - we still have that one but I'll get to it later. Plus, and I left this for last because it's a doozy - Jack Wilshere has evolved into a first team regular full of confidence, skill, and toughness. I know some of you will smile when you read this next part. He's like a new signing. Seriously.

See what I mean? Maybe the inordinate amount of injuries that Arsenal has (every season)has forced us to be deep. Chelsea not so much. They have intimidating starting players, but older ones too. Ones that will get tired in the last half of the game after pressing us all over the pitch. And they will press us. Lampard and Benayoun are out injured with means the creativity has gone out of their midfield. They still have Anelka out on the wing which means Clichy will have a foot race ahead of him, but I don't think Nikolas is particularly creative.

That's what I think we have over Chelsea. Now the trick is to use everything in our Arsenal. We have to defend forward to back. Arshavin is going to have to be in high gear nearly the whole game. Jack/Nasri and Rozicky are going to have to create, motivate, and finish. Chamakh is going to have to go at Terry without fear...which is his pattern. Our full backs are going to have to race back after surging forward, Song must protect and lock down the midfield with help from Denilson/Diaby. Let the forwards worry about scoring Alex - mop it up in the back. The center backs are going to have to contain Drogba forcing Chelsea to go wide to Malouda - which is still another problem. And...Fabianski must have protection. He's going to have to communicate with the back four and direct them. And on corners he's going to have to own the box.

We have some other things going for us as well. We're coming off a solid performance in Europe after a disastrous performance at home last Saturday. I'm hoping the embarrassment against West Brom will continue to motivate our players towards giving all of their effort and discipline (do you hear me Song) for 90 minutes. I think if we play a near perfect game, we're going to surprise a lot of people. We've played perfect games before. Just think what a boost to the rest of our season it would be to play one at Stamford Bridge. Oh ho, the bragging rights.

As I wind this post up, the Saturday matches have wound up too. Manchester Untied tied against Sunderland at the Stadium of Light - which makes me feel a bit better about our performance there. Spurs have beat Aston Villa which puts them in a tie for third with us, Manchester City (who also play tomorrow) and West Brom who tied against Bolton. A win tomorrow puts us into second a point behind our Chelsea. A draw leaves us in third above West Brom and Spurs with ManCity to be determined. A good performance is a must. A win is most desirable. Isn't it always?

I guess that's all for now. I have friends throwing me a dinner party for my birthday so I'm off to have a evening full of good friends, food, and wine. I'll be back tomorrow with my reaction to our performance. I am confident I will be brimming with pride. Until then...Let's GO YOU REDS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!