Saturday, March 20, 2010

To Appeal or Not to Appeal...That is the Question


Well, not quite the thrashing I predicted but it's still a win. It's still three points with two goals toward our Goal Differential, and another clean sheet. It also, I think, is an example of this team's burgeoning self-confidence and mental toughness - winning with 10 men. We currently sit in first place one point ahead of Manure but six goals less in the GD column. Both Chelski and Manure play tomorrow. I would normally root for both teams to draw but one point earned by each puts the Red Devils back on level with us and the other close behind. I can't believe it but I think I'm going to end up rooting for Liverpool and Blackburn tomorrow. Ugh...Gerrard and Allardyce. Oh well, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Anyway the match started brightly enough. Lots of energy, runs at the goal, and our pretty passing. And just when I am ready to write off Denilson - he scores a goal! Our Arsenal club has only one real Denilson fan. Big Z, as I will call him, has maintained his faith in the Brazilian through thick and thin. That faith was repaid today as Denilson took a nice pass from Bendy, shot from outside the box, scored, and celebrated with some version of a Samba dance. Think I prefer his head wiggle. Wenger must be right when he speaks of Denilson having special ankles and laces.
After that goal we seemed to put the brake on, and the intensity dropped a bit. West Ham progressed in possession. I was looking forward to halftime hoping the team would come out re-energized. And then...and then...my Thomas Vermaelan got sent off! Vermie is my absolute favorite player. Handsome, serious, gritty, handsome, fearless, handsome...you get the idea. Just before he got red carded, I was remarking to my friend Jeane that Vermie would be the one we would miss the most if he ever got injured or couldn't play. Duct... tape... anyone? Anyway, Franco went down in the box with little contact, Vermaelan exercised what I thought was phenomenal acrobatic skill in making contact with the ball and...red card. Harsh? I think so. Devastated? Unabashedly so. Can't you see the tears on the blog? Of course, Wenger went nuts on the sideline. But not as nuts as we did minutes later when Almunia denied Diamanti's penalty! HA! I can't remember Almunia saving many penalties which made this stop ever the sweeter. Half time began and the questions begged: who is Monsieur Wenger going to use in the back? Can we make it a full second half with only 10 men? I remembered how Hull in the previous game hunkered down and did not yield until the 93rd minute. Could we do the same?
The game resumed and we started, I thought, a bit shakily. Wenger moved Song to the back - no surprise there. Then in the 57th minute, Diaby came on for Bendy and our engine started to rev again. Diaby brought so much. He had two moments in the game where his movement on the ball was sublime. He turned effortlessly, using his body as a shield while protecting the ball. At one point Jeane's husband Doc vocalized what I was thinking, "I didn't think he was going to get that ball and he did". The tone was sheer wonderment. Beautiful boy.
Anyway, the game continued with us attacking (thanks in much part to the so-improved Eboue) until Cesc, while attempting to pass to himself in the box,was awarded a penalty due to a handball. I almost wish that handball did not occur because I think Cesc could have scored an astonishing goal if that pass to himself had been completed. Still, he got to take the penalty shot. Hammer's goalie Green did not stop it, our Captain scored his 15th Premier League goal of the season, and we hung on ten minutes more for another cardiac arresting win.

Okay let's address the question in the title of the blog: Should Wenger appeal the red card? A three game suspension for Thomas means we are without the Belgian for the matches with Birmingham, Wolves and Spuds. Not good. But if we lose the appeal? The FA could tack on a few more games to Vermie's suspension under the auspice of "frivolous appealing". Aye, that is indeed the rub. Maybe we should just take our lumps, hope and pray Diaby, Denilson, and Song stay healthy and keep Song in the centre back position. The other two can help hold the midfield. Denilson may keep a good run of form (that's for you Big Z) and be able to handle the challenge. We will see.

Before I sign off, a brief word to our dearly loved club member Chops who is abandoning the club (sigh) and moving to Indianapolis. Thanks for all your insight, up-to-the-date information about players, and choice of explicatives. Stay in touch!

Anyway that's all for now. We have a whole week off before we play the Blues of Birmingham City, so bumps and bruises have a chance to heal. Remember- "Go Liverpool and Blackburn!" Excuse me while I go wash my mouth out with soap...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!