Friday, March 19, 2010

Hello There!



The Chicago Bulls in the Jordan era, Notre Dame football and basketball, the Chicago Bears, and -dare I admit it- the Chicago Cubs ( although I still love Wrigley Field). Gone. Kicked to the curb. Replaced by a passion and addiction to The Beautiful Game. I, a Midwestern middle aged woman brought up watching and participating in traditional American sports, have been converted to football...the real football. Specifically The Arsenal of the English Premier League.
Why "soccer", you ask? I will give you three brief reasons: 1) The sheer guts, athleticism, and fitness it takes to run 90 minutes with no time outs and create beautiful goals. That's right...NO TIME OUTS. There is a paltry 15 minute halftime. 2) The game is in constant motion and even when action stops because of a foul or injury, there is almost always something going on on the pitch (field) to watch. 3) NO COMMERCIAL BREAKS. That's right folks. Today's college football games take almost four hours to play four quarters - 15 minutes each quarter. Ridiculous. Soccer is two hours max taking into account injury time or overtime. How can you not appreciate that in today's crazy busy life?
Now, before I discuss actual soccer goings ons, I have a group of people I want to acknowlege for their contribution to my soccer education. My soccer club. They will be mentioned from time to time. There are seven members in our illustrious Arsenal-loving club. My good friend, her Indian husband, and four of his colleagues who are from various part of Europe. They have been instrumental in my tutelage. To them I say thank you and hope I don't embarrass the heck out of you.
Alright then, onto the important stuff. The Champions League draw was today. Barcelona. What can I say? My first reaction was...gulp. Then a deep breath and...another gulp. By the third breath, I was thinking clearer and began deliberating. Hmmm...Our boys and Barcelona play similar styles. Barcelona is weak in the back (like us)and attack which leaves them vulnerable for counter attacks (like us). Hmmmm...so what if they have Messi and our beloved Thierry? and Xavi? and YaYa? I then determined it was a great opportunity. We beat Barcelona and we shut up a bunch of yaps. I have decided I cannot wait for March 31st.
Okay, next up is the game this Saturday against West Ham. We're at the Emirates against them, and they sit somewhat mid-table at 19th place. The thing to remember (or forget as I would like to) is that they tied us 2-2 at their place last October. Actually the particularly painful memory is that we let a two goal lead slip away...but I actually am not that worried after our recent form. We seem especially galvanized and together after the Ramsey incident. We need these three points to stay in the title race, so here in my first blog posting ever, I am predicting a thrashing by us. Let's say 3-0 as our clean sheet record has been on the rise.
I guess that's all for now. I'll be back after we beat the Hammies. GO YOU GOONERS!!!

P.S. A kudos goes out to Aaron Ramsey who apparently has been ignoring Ryan Shawcross's phone calls and texts. Poor Ryan will have to obtain his absolution somewhere else. Way to stay firm and focused Aaron!

4 comments:

  1. I still think American Football is more entertaining. A lot more action and more complex. Every play as an assignment for each player to carry out. Almost any failure will lead to a failed play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how can you say more action? soccer is non stop, loaded with ball handling skill. By the way, how many pro soccer games have you watched?

    Jeane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still love the start of a new college football season. The tailgating, buzz of potential championship and the crispness of the air as the year winds into fall. Back in the day, (now I sound like my father), football "soccer" was not an option for a kid growing up in the '70's & 80's. Even if it had been, not sure that I would have played. 6, 8 months ago, I felt the same way...football "soccer" was not a real sport, less attractive than the other sports I grew up loving. I gave it a chance and man, it is dynamite. The constant action, fan interaction and dedication to their beloved team. It is intoxicating. I do get where you're coming from, but give it 2-3 months and I think you'll feel the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your passion for the sport is very evident in your writing. I applaud you for creating this blog as a way to share your enthusiasm and perhaps "convert" others. So while I admire your dedication to a European team (I do love all things European.), I must admit, it disappoints me to learn that you have kicked the Bears and the Cubs to the curb.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment, Handsome!