Saturday, March 27, 2010

Moving On


It could be considered a positive thing that I did not remember the significance of our going to St. Andrews. It didn't occur to me that today would be the first time we have played at Birmingham since Eduardo’s injury. The remnants of that tackle are still evident today as we watch dear Du-Du struggle to find his confidence and form. Bendy vying for the striker spot doesn’t help as he has out-performed Eduardo and earned the starting role. Thankfully Tayler is no longer at Birmingham (Watford) so there won’t be a lot of opportunity for drama on the pitch. The media, however, is a different story. It is the leading story on both the Sky Sports and ESPN sites. As usual, they are ignoring what our player could be feeling and focus instead of Arsene and claiming he is holding a grudge. His answers about not being able to forgive Martin’s tackle are just that…answers. The questions have been posed by the media. Wenger didn’t choose to dredge up those memories. He, I think, wants to just put it aside and play the game. Arsene being Arsene, he answered questions about his feelings toward the leg-breaker honestly and so admitted:

”Have I bumped into him? No. Have my feelings changed towards him? No. Have they mellowed with time? No.”

He goes to say the best thing for Eduardo’s recovery is to stop rehashing it. I’m sure right after Arsene made that comment, he was asked another question about the horrific injury. I don’t know how he gets through the pre or post-game interviews without throttling someone.

I would love Eduardo to play and score a goal – not to get back at Birmingham but to give a boost to his confidence and to help him move on. Plus, we haven’t seen him smiling lately and, as you can see above, he has a great smile.
This is just a quick posting today before the match. Sorry I didn’t write a more thorough one last night, but I am fighting a cold and was done in at the end of the day. A last note, one of my many (five) readers alerted me to the fact that in my blog title, I note “European football” and that I have only discussed Arsenal and –briefly- the MLS. Well, just to remind everyone, I am watching my first Chicago Fire match tonight! And…I am going to highlight a European Football League each week. This coming week, I am going to take a look at the Spanish League – La Liga. Our upcoming Champions League opponents play (and are in first place) in that league so I thought it a natural segue way.

Alright, go grab your scarves, jerseys, and hats. Sit in your luckiest and comfiest chair and cheer on our side to the title! GO ARSENAL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!