Saturday, February 19, 2011

Is the Pendulum Swinging Our Way At Last?

I am still indulging in the euphoria fashioned for me by the win over make-me-wanna-Barf-alona on Wednesday.  The feeling was only slightly tempered by Messi's comment about Cesc (hence my above disparaging remark).  I know I shouldn't let the revolving door of disrespect get to me, so let's move on...

Where was I?  Oh yes...euphoria.  It could be that this elation is making me more sanguine than usual, but the good feeling I've had since the win against Chelsea is growing in my mind to the point where I now am thinking this season is IT...for at least two trophies and maybe more.  Actually, I am going to do something unusual here and actually put myself on the line.  I am SURE of it.  Quote me on May 28th.  The come from behind win against the Catalans will have forged a belief in the squad's mind of their abilities and the level of focus and drive needed to reach a Champion's level of play.  I don't think they have to beat Barca at Camp Nou-sance (they will, of course).  That's a post for another day.  But, they know they can win now, and they will.  Starting with tomorrow's match.

Leyton Orient is the team we face tomorrow in the Fifth Round of the FA Cup - one of the trophies in our line of sight.  "The O's" are a League One team placed in 11th out of 24 teams.  They actually were protesting the Olympic Stadium being given to West Ham fearing that a new team relocating so close to them would take away from their fanbase since they too are located in East London.  I'm all for the little guy, aren't you?

Anyway, I'm expecting a long ball sort of game mixed with some pace from their left back.  Their main striker, Revell , according to Wenger, "looks dangerous".  Revell has 14 goals in 34 appearances in all competitions and has scored twice in the FA Cup.  Leyton have taken out Norwich and Swansea in previous rounds both who are currently sitting in third and fourth place in the Championship table.  They will,we all now, be totally up for this match.  That's part of the beauty of the Cup - the Davids taking on the Goliaths.  Manager Russell Slade apparently was in person at the Emirates for our WIN over Barcelona and admitted that watching that match could have been a mistake: 

"It scared me to death!  There were two fantastic sides, and it as a great spectacle, exactly the way he game should be played.  If they perform like that then we'd probably have to say adios to the FA Cup, but it's a new day, a different day.  It might be a different team, who knows?"

And it probably will be.  With Stoke mid-week followed by the Carling Cup Final at the weekend, rotating and resting our boys is important...as long as we win.  Djourou was out with a back sprain, but is feeling better and is back in contention for starting.  According to Wenger, Kozzer was exhausted after his shift on Wednesday, so he will probably be rested.  That means that it will be Squillaci and possibly DJ facing Orient.  I've stated before that I think DJ is suited better for the English game and will be instrumental in protecting us in set pieces and long kicks.  Almunia will get some playing time although that may bother Wojo who has stated he wants to be the first choice between the sticks for Arsenal for the next ten years.

I figure Theo will be rested which will give maybe Rosicky a chance to get the rust off.  I'm not sure if Wenger will start Arshavin or Nasri?  Both could have a chance if Cesc is rested as well.  I don't know how much Wenger will mess with the starting XI as the huge changes in the first leg against Leeds gave us a problem.  On the other hand, getting the bench playing time is essential in keeping them match fit in case of injuries.  All I know is that I'm glad Le Boss is being paid to make the big decisions and not me.

So here's to another push at the pendulum, helping it and Arsenal  gain momentum going into the final third of the season.  Shiny, bright things are within the squad's grasp if they just ride the wave all the way to the finish line. 

Ride the wave boys, just ride the wave.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!