Friday, February 11, 2011

Hungry Like the Wolf

Okay -so I'm not the biggest Duran Duran fan, but I just couldn't resist.  We're playing the Wolves on Saturday at the Emirates and, although they did us a favor last week and beat Manure, our hunger for three points is going to have to outweigh their need to get out of the bottom three.

There are a couple of ways to look at the upcoming match.  Wolves are riding high after their win over a "top" club.  They seem to be building a reputation as a giant killer having also defeated Chelsea, Manchester City and Liverpool but also have a poor away record.  Out of the four victories against the aforementioned teams, three of those were home for them.  They beat Liverpool at Anfield, but let's face it...back in December, anyone could have beat the Scousers there.  So I'm thinking that as our home record has improved, we have a good shot at winning the match.  They may be confident...but I think our squad is definitely looking to put last week's aberration of a game behind us.  I wouldn't be surprised to see The Arsenal ride rampant over them.  I hope, as JamrockRover predicted in his blog today, that we end with at least a 3-0 scoreline.  With Manure playing ManCity, we have a definite chance to continue moving up the table.

As far as the health of our players goes, I was pretty right on when I said yesterday that all came back uninjured from international duty...almost.  Tomas Rosicky has apparently picked up a groin injury after actually scoring a goal for the Czech national team against Croatia.  Let me repeat that.  Rosicky scored a goal.  Surprise.  He's injured.  No surprise.  Really, his injury is too bad as maybe he could have picked up some momentum and confidence from the goal.  There is good news though as Djourou has passed his fitness test and can play tomorrow as well as Cesc and RvP who have both recovered from their illnesses and will also be playing.  Song is "expected" to be back but still has a fitness test to undergo.  If he cannot play, Denilson is fit again.  Nasri, Diaby, and Vermie ( three weeks away...again) are all still unavailable due to injuries and suspension.  So most of the team that put together that beautiful first half of football last Saturday will be playing against Wolverhampton tomorrow.  Chris Foy is the referee.  I'm not sure what his record is and have decided not to focus on that.  As I have stated in different posts before, we have to learn to play above bad calls.  Wenger seems to agree.

Other news related to the Gunners?  Looking ahead (just a little) to the Barcelona game next Wednesday, it looks like their hairy centerback will be missing as Puyol has a knee injury.  Barcelona's strength is not their defense, but Carlos is a leader on the pitch so it could show in our favor.  I don't want to do a full preview of that game as tomorrow's is the most important match in the front of us, but I have a much better overall feeling about playing the Barfa's than last year.  More later on that...

I guess that's it for now.  This post turned out much shorter than I originally thought it was going to be.  Maybe I'm just out of practice.  In any case, here's to a win tomorrow...Let's Go You Reds!!!!

P.S. (I knew I forgot something...if you want or need an extra reason to smile today...take a look at the "spot of bother" old 'Arry is in!)

P.P.S.  (Since it's been so long for Tomas - and for us - I've inserted the highlight of Rozicky's goal below.  Just to refresh the ol' memory)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!