Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Partizan Preview



That picture above is of Partizan's coach Aleksandar Stanojevic. Our boys are playing his team this afternoon in Serbia looking to gain another three points in this round. They look tough on paper. Up until their loss to Dudu's Shahktar, they've been cruising undefeated in Serbia since April. They also have won the Serbian league three years in a row. They have the home field advantage, which according to the preview on the official site, consists of one of the loudest, most loyal fans in Europe. Okay, bring 'em on.

Bring 'em on in time for Fabianski to dismiss worries or worsen them. Let's support him while he takes one more go at redeeming himself. We have Szczeny on the bench just in case he messes up, but after my half-rant last night, I decided to support the starting goalie. No, I did not put any laxative in the water bottle. I'm in the States, remember?

Our team has some changes to it. Diaby, due to perhaps a poor performance as he was not listed as injured - is being left behind and did not make the plane. Denilson, Jack, Tommy, Gibbs, Djourou, Squillaci, Sanga, Song, Chamakh and Arshavin round out the starting squad. Koz, Clichy, Eboue, SAM, Vela, and Lansbury are on the bench. Hopefully this batch can provide solid defense and cover for each other better than at West Brom where no one seemed up to the task. It seems a strong squad to me, with players who have European experience starting as well as subbing.

The Belgrade team seem to be tough and likes taking things on the break, so it will be important for us to take care of the ball and to win our duels. No more of this 46%-54% crap from the West Brom game. We need to show up for the fight. Song needs to be more disciplined and not worry so much about upping his scoring percentage. Stay back and mop up like you're suppose to. We have plenty of offensive power starting up front.

I guess that's all for now. I noticed my entries have gotten somewhat shorter lately. Maybe my thoughts have become more streamlined with less tangents running off here and there. Maybe the disappointment from the last two EPL matches have made me more cautious and less loquacious. I bet some of the disappointment also has to do with not seeing my Vermie play for so very long. I'm not sure. What I am sure of is that performances build on each other. We need a solid foundation to build on. West Brom's disaster is out of the way - early in the season to be learned from and corrected. Let's hope that new wisdom is shown against our Champions League opponent this afternoon. I'll be back tomorrow with a brief - or not so brief - report.

Until then...GO YOU GUNNERS!!!

By the way, if you miss the Verminator as much as I do, here's a great pic that came right off the official site's ad for their winter gear. The little hint of stubble on the chin makes the shot - don't you think? Yumm...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!