Monday, September 27, 2010

Just When Things Calm Down...Fabianski is Starting in Goal Against Partizan. Opportunity for Szczeny?

I wake up this morning after a weekend of all my sports teams tanking in the most head - in - hands fashion all weekend (Arsenal being the most devastating) and I find that, somehow, I attained inexplicably - some calm...some peace. And then I proceed to check the Arsenal official site. What? Fabianksi in goal tomorrow night? Almunia out hurt with elbow injury (from his penalty save)? But then I stop thrashing around my kitchen uttering oaths and start to think. Hmmmm...I wonder who our Number Two is going to be? Is this Chezzer's opportunity?

So, my next step is to..go to work of course. My job comes before anything Arsenal, right? Erm. Well, I'm taking an early lunch break to discover if Chezzers has a chance. See, our reserves are also playing Blackpool tonight which means whoever starts in goal there cannot be going to Belgrade...unless Arsene has discovered Start Trek-like transporter technology. I wouldn't put that past him actually. Now, mind you, this theory only holds water if Chezz is ever used for reserve matches anymore as they have goalies of their own. I'm going with my optimistic nature and say it does.

Putting the 20 year old as back up for the Partizan match would be a clever way for Wenger to appease the impatient youngster while saving face. He has an injury and two games for which goalies are needed. Arsene did note that Szczeny would also have to get past Mannone, but an opportunity is an opportunity. Arsene would be foolish not to take it. Le Boss is stubborn at times (too many too count), but foolish? Arguably, no.

I looked briefly again at the official website and was excited to see pictures of Wojo training with the first team...along with Fumbling and Vito. Sigh. Wenger hedging his bets again.

Here's another positive of playing Chezzers in goal. If he screws up then he knows he's not as good as his mouth has proclaimed him to be. Which means he'll be ruined for the rest of his career, or he'll go back to playing without whining and work even harder. 'Course he could turn out to be a revelation. That bit really makes me googly-eyed with anticipation.

But let's get realistic. Szczeny is just second or even third choice right now. How could he ever hope to gain Number One? Here's some options I've thought up. 1) Fumbling is so horrible tomorrow night that Wenger has no choice but to play his back-up after halftime. 2) Fumbling injures himself in a spectacular (heroic, even) fashion while flapping at a cross - hence the need for Chesney to step in or 3) crazy fans drug Fumbling's water bottle ( you know - the one kept at the side of the net for him to drink when he is able) with a powerful laxative that forces him to the bathroom at an inconvenient time. Nothing life or career threatening, mind you. Just something to get him temporarily out of the way. Yes, I'm desperate. Don't try and pretend you're not. You have to admit - aren't you excited that he even made the sub bench?

It should be interesting. I'll be back tomorrow with more team news and, hopefully, news of who is our Number Two. Until then...

P.S. (Since posting, the official website has declared Wojo as Number Two. That is progress people!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!