Saturday, September 25, 2010

Complacency Strikes Again as Arsenal Fall 2-3 to West Brom


What can I say? I'm so upset I'm sure my writing will be borderline incoherent and broken. On a day when Chelsea was kind enough to drop points, we lose - at home - to West Brom. Horrible memories resurfaced of our loss to Hull City two years ago. Phil Brown grinning like a Cheshire Cat. Ugh. Of course, they beat us on their turf at least - West Brom beat us on ours.

Before I go on though I would like to tip my hat - if I was wearing one - to the Baggies. Di Matteo stated they would play us hard but fair. And they did. They also didn't give us space. They played the ball mostly on the ground instead of long balling it for the most part. For whatever reason , we just couldn't cope. I have to say West Brom also surprised me with their fitness. They continually pressed us but did not seem to tire.

We went into halftime lucky to be tied 0-0. I thought - Hey, they'll come out motivated and tight in the back. They didn't. Sagna got schooled by Thomas who crossed to his teammate Odemwingie and we were down 1-0. A few minutes later it was 2-0 as this time Clichy got schooled and Almunia saw Jara's shot bounce off his knee into the back of the net.

Wenger then did something nearly unheard of. He subbed in the 56th and 65th minutes. Le Boss broke his 70th minute rule (is he taking a harder line with players who are not performing this season?). Eboue and Diaby gave way for Jack and Tommy in the 56th. Would the subs do it? Could we come back from a two point deficit? Ummm...nope.

Yes, the energy went up with those subs, but our defense still gave way as the Baggies then scored in the 72nd minute. Now I know Wenger took off Koz in the 65th for Vela which means we were defensibly vulnerable for 20 minutes, but what excuse is there for the first two West Brom goals?


Nasri then decided to go on a scoring spree. We had a 10 minute last gasp for air and Sami scored twice. And I love that he took charge of the last 10 minutes, but where was that desire during the rest of the game? Tommy had a chance in the 93rd but blew it.

The result was what we deserved. Our opponent got what they deserved. Now we travel to Serbia on Tuesday for Champions League and then come back to face Chelsea on their turf. I hope we work out whatever hangover- alcohol related or other - that could face us. It's time to take the team that lost to Hull, drew to Sunderland, and let a newly promoted team win - and leave it behind. Otherwise, I really do fear for the rest of the season.

That's all for now Gooners. I'll leave you with my nonsensical ramblings. Maybe things will seem clearer tomorrow. Until then.

P.S. (Here's a telling stat: Duels won Arsenal 46%-54% West Brom. See? We didn't battle today. 'Nuff said.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!