Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Lionel Messi Show - Schooling at Camp Nou

What can I say? With the odds against us, these boys still gave us hope. Even at 3-1 I did not give up that hope. There was time for us to score two more. We'd done it before, right? And then...the fourth goal. Game over. Maybe expecting them to outshine one of the best teams in the world while dragging these injuries along with them was just a bit too much to ask. I didn't get to watch the match. I had to satisfy myself with following live commentary on the Internet, and I only got to do that for the last 30 minutes. By all accounts, in everything I have read over the last 12 hours, we were just purely outclassed. My understanding is that Clichy had his best match yet, Theo was hot/cold as was Bendtner. Other than Clichy, it doesn't sound like anyone played especially well which was needed for us to stay in it. Plus, I was, of course, worried about Messi as he was just too quiet when he came to the Emirates. That was partially due to Song in the first half who worked hard to keep him covered. I am not at all surprised that he came alive in front of his home crowd. Not that I expected a hat trick from him ( or four goals as bad luck would have it). But I did expect him to feel more comfortable. Plus, he had Sylvestre to deal with. It was like taking candy from a baby I expect. There's nothing like a team of Barca's quality to highlight one's weak spots...defense...depth...strikers. I'm not a negative fan by any stretch of the imagination (heck...been a Cubs fan all my life), but even I must admit we need to shore up in some very obvious spots. Maybe the upside to this is that Wenger has acknowledgted that he needs some additions to the squad.

Well, I highly expect Barcelona will go on to win another Champions League crown barring some horrendous piece of luck for them. and I will be rooting for them. How can you not when they play so beautifully? And of course, they play Inter next and we all know how Arsenal fans get a warm and fuzzy feeling for that coach...Ewwww. Here's hoping the "Special One" goes down in flames in spectacular fashion.

Just to follow up on the Karl Henry situation from yesterday - Wolves are not appealing his red card. Mick is saying he does not want to risk an extension of Henry's suspension - which is probable as both of his tackles show violence and poor sportsmanship. Really, I'm hoping the meathead saw both replays and went - hat in hand- to his manager and said,"Mick - don't risk the appeal. I admit I'm nothing more than a talentless, cheating, used snot rag and promise to mend my ways". Or something like that. Right.

A brief mention of the Chicago Fire game I watched over the weekend against the Colorado Rapids...UGH! The score ended up 2-2 and I have never seen so much walking around during a soccer match in my seven years as a fan! The playing better improve or it's going to be a long summer without proper football to watch (World Cup doesn't count as that kind of play can be slow too).

Okay...it's a weekend off for our team as they brush aside the loss and begin focusing on the derby next week against...our hated rivals the Spudheads. Thank goodness for some time off as Song needs to heal up and maybe Van Persie can show up for the game? Fingers crossed. Cheers everyone and keep your heads up!

P.S. Here are the highlights of the game if 1) you missed the game, 2) you are a Barca fan (why would you be reading my blog, or 3) you are a masochistic Arsenal fan. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!