Thursday, February 20, 2014

All Is Not Lost Arsenal 0-2 Bayern Munich


Before I write too much, I have to admit I was unable to watch the match.  I listened to it on Arsenal Player as much as I could while at work, and followed @arseblog's live blog so I have a jist of how the game went, but the some of the nuances may be lost on me.  And I know I could subscribe to FoxSoccer to have access to these and FA Cup games, but I refuse to give money to a company who employs Eric Wynada as a commentator.  He absolutely ruins the game for me. 

Anyway, speaking of the game, here are my impressions.

The starting forward raised a few eyebrows.  Yaya was chosen over Giroud to lead the line against the best football team in the world last night.  I wonder what thoughts raced through his mind when he learned he was starting? 
"Wow - I'm starting against Bayern?!"
"Crap!  I'm starting against Bayern!"
"Ollie's gonna kill me - they'll find my body in the dumpster out behind the training ground"

For most Gooners, the selection was perplexing.  Giroud had a rest at the FC Cup.  Sanogo has noooooo European experience.  Wenger's explanation:
"It was just a decision based on performance. When I play Giroud in every game, people reproach me from playing him in every game. When I rest him, people reproach me for rested him. Tonight I rested him so you should be happy. It was not punishment, it was just a decision tonight."
It makes sense in a way.  Giroud's performances have been lagging.  Part of that is because he is tired.  Maybe part of it is because he doesn't have enough competition.  The really sad fact is that our backup for Giroud is this raw kid.  That's not on Giroud or Yaya.  That's on the management.

We started really well, pressing up high on the pitch.  We had a chance too with Yaya forcing Neuer into a save in the 2nd minute.  And then in the 27th minute, Mesut pulled the ball back in the penalty area, and with a clear shot on goal, was tripped up by Boeteng.  Boeteng was given a yellow and Mesut a penalty - which he missed.  What a lost opportunity.  Ox was then set up by Yaya in the 27th minute but Neuer came out and nicked it out just in time.  Exciting stuff.  Even when the air went out of our tires a bit with the missed penalty, we kept going.

Szczesny's red card killed us.  That's not an insightful comment.  Of course it did.  Szcz misread the ball and the real question is did he have to come out for it? Robben's touch had the ball going out to the left and Sagna was almost there to help out.  A judgment error in my opinion made by our keeper and the referee.  If Ozil had a clear shot on goal and no red card was given to Boeteng, then why the red card on Wojciech?    Was it a foul?  Yes.  Was it a clear goal scoring opportunity?  Maybe.  The ball was going away from goal.  The penalty was given.  The red card seems very harsh.

Going a man down tired us and made substitutions difficult.  Again - this is not difficult stuff to figure out.  But Twitter was fill of comments and rage about Wenger not subbing off Ozil who was clearly exhausted (running the third most distance in the match).  But after having to take off Cazorla for Fabianski, Wenger also had to sub Gibbs for Monreal after it looked like he pulled his hamstring.  With only one substitution left, Wenger saved it for the Ox who apparently was carrying an injury in the second half (according to @arseblog).

What does this mean for the second leg in Munich?  Well, we still have to make up a two goal difference, but their away goal tally is one less than last year.  I think the squad will feel hard done by.  Wondering "what if" things had gone differently which really can give them momentum.  It will also depend on who is available and rested.  Will Giroud earn his spot back?  Will Gibbs return from his hamstring injury?  Will we have won against Everton in the FA Cup that previous Saturday and carry that confidence into the match?  There are many factors to consider, but all in all, I think we have a better shot than last year, to be honest.  Flamini seems to feel the same way.

Lastly, we will have to rotate for the Sunderland game.  Playing with only 10 men for over 50 minutes requires it.  Giroud will likely start (unless Bendtner makes an appearance.  Honestly, Wenger has me guessing).  Ozil really needs a break so look TR7 or Santi to start there, freeing up a the wing for  Podolski to come in.  I would love to see us take some frustration out on the Black Cats.

That's it.  Longer post than I anticipated considering how little of the actual match I got to see.  I'll be back to preview Saturday's game.  Have a good one Gooners.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!