Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The March to Marseille

Good morning Gooners.  This is going to be a shorter than normal posting.  It's that time of year again where we begin playing three games a week in an attempt to secure a trophy of some sort.  Today's match kicks off the group stage of the Champions League where we play against fourth-placed Marseille of Ligue 1.

At the time of my last writing, I was wringing my hands at the thought that our one and only true striker was out with a knee injury.  Since then, Wenger has stated that Olivier had a fitness test yesterday to determine whether or not he can start.  I have no official news (as in medical), but Ollie Gee has once again taken to Twitter and suggests he will be in the squad for the match today.




Now, Wenger could start him on the bench, allowing Theo to take the central role as a precautionary measure ( doesn't the transfer window seem an eternity away).  But, this is a very tough group we are facing, and securing as many points as possible as soon as possible is incredibly important.  Wenger gets paid the big bucks for making decisions just like these and taking gambles.  Here's hoping whatever risk he decides to take pays off.

Marseille traditionally play a high line, are known to be defensively sound while balancing their attack.  I do not think that they will just sit behind the ball and absorb our pressure.  I'm looking for Mesut to use that high line to pick out little balls over the top to Theo who could use the Champions League as the arena where his goal scoring takes off.  I look for Jack and Rambo to continue their burgeoning partnership with Ozil to create other goal scoring opportunities.  Flamini will help provide cover and we will have Sagna back on the wing with Per and his ever Ent-like calmness securing the back four.  Our squad is terrifying thin (and I know I point this out every post), but it is talented.

In the end, I look for us to get a very important away goal, and keep a clean sheet, but I don't think this is going to be a goal-scoring extravaganza.  Let's get out early, play tight defense, and head back to London with three points in our pockets.  I'll be trying to find a stream and will follow the excellent Arseblog on his live blog.  Have a good one Gooners.  And oh yea ...

COME ON YOU RIP ROARING REDS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!