Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Gooners Are Learning to Love the Ümlaut

Ö

Welcome to post-Transfer Window daylight.  After being peppered with rumors, and riding the roller coaster of "will we or won't we" spend a ton of money, it's time to exhale, assess, and gloat. Yep.  I am advocating gloating, bragging, boasting, and overall obnoxiousness.  We deserve it.  We got The Özil.

Now, I could focus on what we did not get.  And I am well aware that we are sending our players on international duty with very little back up on the bench if there are injuries.  But, I'm still grinning ear to ear about the acquisition of the top assist-maker in all of Europe.  Someone even better than Cesc.  Someone who, combined with Mr. Magic Feet, will give such service to Giroud and Theo, that he could become the top assist-maker in the Premier League in his first season.  And the other little tidbit that gets me excited about him is...he doesn't seem to be injury-prone.  He player 50 games for Real Madrid in both the 2010-2011  and the 2012-2013 seasons.  

It seems that the Creative Midfielder position is the the last one that needs reinforcing.  But when a player of Mesut's calibre becomes available, he cannot be passed up.  And, if we look back at the Spuds game over the weekend, if the passes were a bit more precise, maybe Lloris wouldn't have beaten our front men to the ball.  And what other world class players will pass over Arsenal now when they could play with our new signing?  Talent attracts talent.  I would not be surprised to see us sign another quality player (striker?) in the January window, and perhaps Wenger is more wily about transfers than we have given him credit for.  The core of the team are young, talented Brits who love the club.  Now they will be supplemented with the "super-quality" player that will make them look even more talented.  Rumor is that the attitude is awesome in the locker room, and after reading Özil's statement about becoming a Gunner, I think he will be an enhancement there as well.

" I’m really looking forward to it because I have the faith of the coach. I had spoken to him at length on the telephone and he explained his plans and that he has faith in me and that is what I need as a player. "

"At Arsenal, I can feel that there is trust. I'm looking forward to the challenge. I will develop under my new manager and I'm looking forward to [playing in] the Premier League too. Wenger gives me the faith and I can develop further."

I think any of us Gooners would not be surprised to hear that the perception of Wenger is that he places trust in his players and is known for developing them.  At times, his faith has driven us crazy.  But, Özil is a player that has already proven his talent and value, and knows he needs a coach like Wenger.  And this player's not even French or an under-21!

All in all, I am pleased.  We have competition for Szczesny, the Flamster is back (see here for that great tackle on Danny Rose), and we kept...B52.  At least there was some comedy in this window as well.  We head into this interlull with some excitement of things to come, which is a  feeling that has been missing for awhile now.  

*exhale.

Have a good one Gooners.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!