Thursday, July 21, 2011

Are You Kidding Me?

Hey - did you hear about Arsenal's bid for me?  Jokers!

This is a joke, right?  Our bid for Jagielka has been reported to have been rejected.  Considering it was two million pounds less than our last bid, I am not surprised.  The obvious question, of course, is why did we offer less? The start of the season is less than a month away, we don't have time to play games, practical jokes or make mistakes here.  I understand the Cesc/Nasri situation making it difficult to assess and sign offensive players, but tying down a central defender seems to be a straight forward job with minimum juggling required. 

I readily admit, I am the poorest bargainer on the planet.  I've bought a car at the sticker price for goodness sakes - never bothering to ask for a better deal.  I have friends who insist they go with me when I'm shopping for almost anything - wanting to be sure I don't get ripped off.  But I do know this one rule when it comes to offering a bid...if your first offer is turned down, you offer a little more.  Are people at the offices of The Arsenal getting bored?  Is the offer a red herring leaked out for media consumption?  Or maybe Ivan knows something we don't about Phil's abilities?  If they're less stellar than what we thought, why are we bidding at all?

Anyway, I am beating a dead horse here, but being that Arsenal news is scarce and usually bad, I felt a rant was overdue.  Moving on...

Let's talk about my favorite of favorites...Vermie.  Does anyone else notice he is on the site often these days being quoted about our chances next season and his opinion on new arrivals?  And, they're putting up some great pictures of him too, thank goodness.  This picture is definitely not flattering, and I remember last season they kept using it again and again.  With my much-loved Belgium back in action, there should be more images to choose from.    Hopefully,we won't see that again.  Anyway, Thomas talks about the squad having a clean slate and the fact that everyone in the league gets the chance to start over.  Which is true.  I suspect it's easier for him to talk about that considering he did not play a part in last season's demise.  This usually positive chatter gets on one's nerves after awhile, but considering the source, I am almost feeling the optimism myself.  Almost.  I am getting excited that football is going to be back and there will be lots to read and watch and listen to and  hopefully cheer about.  If we would just sign Benzema, or Jagielka, or Cahill, or Mertsacker or the next unknown Thierry Henry.  That's not asking for too much, is it?  The answer to that question will in all likelihood not be forthcoming until September when the transfer window officially closes.  Until then, we'll just have to feed on the bread crumbs allotted to us on a daily basis.

I guess that's it for now.  Short but sweet today.  I'm off to go garage saling - with a few chaperones of course.  Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!