Friday, November 26, 2010

It's Alive! It's Alive!

After needing a few days off to absorb the consecutive poor play by our boys, I've mustered enough energy to get back at it.  We have a game tomorrow morning (6:45 AM my time), and with it, another chance for a great club to remember who the hell they are and who they represent.

I pretty much had forgotten the glory of being an Arsenal fan this week.  I admittedly sulked and pouted, only glancing now and again at Twitter and my favorite blogs (Cesc Is God and the mighty Arseblogger).  I don't think I even left one comment.  Yesterday was a turning point however, as I celebrated Thanksgiving with my family.  I usually only see my mom's side of the family now about once a year, and I hadn't seen my youngest cousin in over a year.  He's a senior in college now, and last spring he studied abroad in Copenhagen.  Like almost all members of my nuclear and hugely extended family, Tim is a sports nut.  He loves American football, played basketball in high school, and now, is  a European football fan.  So, of course, we had lots to talk about.  Do you know what I discovered?  His last week across the pond was spent in London, rooming with two Arsenal fans who took him on a tour of the Emirates.  He sat in Wenger's heated stadium seat.  He visited the locker room and eyed the players' jerseys which were hanging in the individual cubbies.  He got to come out the tunnel and described the history of the club displayed in photos all along it.  And you know what?  I was totally jealous.  The passion that had hibernated for three days came roaring back - penetrating the wall of apathy I had erected in self-defense.  I pulled my Gooner of a brother into the conversation yelling with enthusiasm "Tim has been to the Emirates!" (My mother kindly patted me on the back, soothingly reasuring me "Some day Lisa, you'll be there -  some day ).

Anyway, that's when I rediscovered my true feelings for this sport and our club.  So what if we have the worse November record since I've been watching the club (2002-2003 season)?  So what if our Captain is out once again with hamstring injuries.  So what if we all worry that our spine is soft and Arsene maybe has lost his touch with motivating the aging youngsters?  So what?

Okay, settle down.  I know it matters.  I know that winning at Aston Villa is necessary not only for us to keep within reach of the title, but in order to restore confidence to our players and fans.  It's important for us to regain our lost momentum and reinstate just a smidgen of the pride that has been lost.  I say "so what" in the vein of a supporter who knows our squad could be great if not for this continual bump in the road.  If we can get back on track, put a few wins together ( seven or eight would be great), then we can arrive finally at those pearly...golden...arches that we've been missing since the dismembering  of The Invincibles.

Speaking of Invincibles, we face a former at Villa tomorrow in the handsome visage of Bobby Pires.  He came off the bench last week and probably will start there again unless needed because of Aston Villa being at the very top of the table at physioroom.com.    According to that table, Carew, Cuellar, Sidwell, and Reo-Coker could be back for the match - all listed with "slight doubt".  They  have had Agbonlahor back for their last three matches, but Houillier stated today that Agbonlahor had been ill and missed two days of training so he may not play.   I still remember the match last year where Vermie streaked back to close down Gabriel's counterattack and won the ball from him.  What grit and determination he had.  Sigh.

I think after Koz's poor perfromace at Braga, DJ will get his spot back alongside Squillaci.  With Cesc out for the infamous "two weeks", Nasri and Jack will probably share some creative midfield responsibilities helped out defensively by Song and maybe not so much by Denilson.  Hey - just because I rediscovered my fervor doesn't mean I'm completely blind to our weak links.  I think Theo should get another start as his crosses may actually get met by a striker in the box if that striker is Chamakh.  Arshavin has had his "rest" so he also should be playing.  Sagna and Clichy will round out the back four.

The bench, I think, is up for grabs in some positions.  Van Persie could be there, Bendtner could be there, Koz will probably be there, Tommy will definately be there.  Will Almunia or Szezesny  be the Number 2?  The JET has not gone out on loan unlike Ramsey (until January) and Henri Lansbury so he could also be riding pine.  Gibbs will be there as backup for Clichy.  Yep, I think that's everyone.

Okay then.  Let's head up to Villa Park, take a win, three points, and the lead at the top (if only for a day).  What I don't want is to have to read apologies on Twitter or the official site by the players...even if they are by Spiky Jack and very genuine.  It's far better not to have to apologize in the first place.  My ardor has been ressurected and is alive, but fragile.  It needs reinforcement.

So let's go you guys.  Like I said at the beginning of the post.  Remember who the hell you are.  Remember, you wear the Red and White of The Arsenal.  Let's Go You Gunners.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!