Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Bone to Pick With Diaby - Newcastle Preview

Good morning and salutations from a snowy Northern Indiana.  After an October filled with Indian Summer temps, November has decided to go straight to winter.  Ah, the benefits of living close to one of the Great Lakes.  Anyway, it's time to round up the news and preview our game for tomorrow.  At the time of this writing, our the Spuds lost out 4 - 2 to Bolton.  Well done Owen.  How weird is it to be happy with Kevin Davies?  Anyway, with our losing in the Ukraine on Wednesday, it's important for us to show strong tomorrow and jump start that momentum we had been building since our Birmingham win on October 16th.  How fast we get back on track, I think, will speak volumes as to this team's resilience, "winning mentality", and likelihood of winning the title.  There is good news, weird news, and bad news when it comes to our players' injuries.

First the good news which is Vermaelen is back on the mend and looking good.  Wenger stated:

"Vermaelen is not far but is not ready. It is a question of days for him. It is encouraging.”

That was, I must admit, my favorite news of the week.  I really miss my Vermie.  I think his intensity on the pitch will add a grittiness to the attitudes on the field.  There are not that many of the squad that have that tenacity, and I think it will be contagious.  Also on the mend of course is RVP who participated in full training for the first time on November 5th.  There's no other update on his callup to the Dutch National side other than the coach is incredibly rude and non-professional:

"Has there been any contact with the medical staff of Holland and Arsenal? I don't know," he said in The Times.  "I don't care. I have spoken to Robin personally and he is doing well and he will rejoin training there today.  I don't see any hesitation to pick him. I just made the selection and will wait for any comments to come.  I have selected 24 players, so if players are not fit, we will see at that time."

Let's contrast that with the Belgian coach who had this to say about calling up the Verminator:


We are not going to take a risk for a friendly game. His health is most important thing. I have a great relationship with Arsene Wenger and completely respect him and what he tells me about his players

In all probability. Robin won't play at all so why have him travel and take him away from London?  He could use that time for more training, for more physical therapy, for more ankle-taping.  What a waste.

And now onto poor Adu Diaby.  Wenger is unsure when - and dare I say if - Diaby will return after having two reckless tackles occur to the same ankle this season.

“He was never himself and we have today worries for him. We don't know how long he will be out. He has seen two surgeons already and at the moment we have to be patient and see if he can get away with it."

I'm not sure what "get away with it" means other than perhaps healing with out the need for surgery.  But according Mirror journalist John Cross on Twitter (@johncrossmirror), Diaby has a floating piece of bone in his ankle and has consulted two surgeons already.  I'm not a physician of course, but I highly doubt the probability of a high performance athlete being able to compete with a bone floating around anywhere at anytime.  I just don't think that would work.  So a big sarcastic thanks to Paul Robinson, Michael Essien, and the Original Perpetrator Dan Smith for hampering Diaby's progress and perhaps his career.  Let's face it.  We really don't know how far Diaby could have developed by now as he's constantly been injured.

Onto Newcastle.  We gave them a sound beating in the Carling Cup but must be on our guard as they fielded a weaker side that evening due to the derby they played the following Sunday which they won big 5-1.  They are coming in confident and have two players who could definitely give us problems namely veteran Kevin Nolan and his temporary housemate Andy Carroll.  Nolan is top of the Premier League with Tevez and Malouda with seven goals scored.  Carroll sits in seventh with five and seems to be settling down in his private life which is improving his performances.    I think tomorrow brings us a match of momentum.  Newcastle is steaming with it and we need to get it back.

Cesc, Arshavin, Denilson, and Song are all back for tomorrow's match which is more good news.  I think we will need our strongest squad to decidedly face down the Tooners.  I'm hoping the starters include Theo, Koz, Squillaci, Sagna, Jack and Nasri to be joined by daydreamer Clichy and of course Fabianski. 

So, here's to tomorrow being a winning day and a postive end to the weekend.  I'm hoping for a clean sheet and a 2-0 victory.  Considering the form of the two players mentioned above, however, I'll settle for a 3-1.  I'll be back after the game for a post-game post...article..whatever.  I'll be back.  Until then -let's go you Gunners.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!