Monday, June 7, 2010

Top Five Reasons I'm Rooting for the US in the World Cup


And no, it's not just because I'm American. It's not because, as one forum member challenged, Americans love to get all "Apple-Pie" during global sporting events. To be frank, watching the MLS this season has been agonizing. One can see why some Europeans perhaps sneer at the mention of our soccer league. It's clear American soccer really hasn't developed its own style yet. It's too young and is still a mix of European and South-of-the Border influences. But, as some of our national players play in Europe - and not in the MLS- I don't think we can judge our chances by the play of the MLS. I think it will come down to how well they have gelled as a team and how willing they are to just go for it every single game. Wenger doesn't discount the US team at all stating:

"America, don't forget, beat Spain in the Confederations Cup," he told the Arsenal magazine. "They are a team who prepare well, they have a competitive mentality and seem to be able to raise their game when it matters."

So hey, if Arsene thinks we may have a chance against England, why shouldn't I get behind them? Now, this doesn't mean I won't be watching our Arsenal players represent their countries (I'll have my fingers crossed while chewing on them at the same time, hoping they don't get injured.) I want them all to have good performances to segueway into a good season. I especially want the Netherlands to do well so I can see RVP play in fine form. Nevertheless, the US of A is the team for me this World Cup. So, I have compiled my top five reasons I am rooting for the old Red, White and Blue.



1) Everyone Loves an Underdog
And trust me, I know we're an underdog. We are ranked 14th (up from 16th in 2006) which isn't bad out of 32, but it's not top five or even top ten. And, I may be paranoid here, but the fandom of football offers us a bit of a sneer which never really bothered me before. But now that I have become a fellow football fanatic, I take those sneers as challenges and hope Team USA rises to meet them.

2) Lack of Theo in England
England has no Arsenal players in it and I just cannot root for a team that consists of John-sleep with my best friend's girlfriend -Terry and Steven-dive-a-holic-Gerrard. Blech.

3) France doesn't really have a chance
Of course, France has the highest % of Arsenal players and our much adored Titi, but the manager Domenech seems to have a somewhat combustible relationship with the players, so I don't see them going as far as they did in 2006.

4) I Want to See Clint Dempsey Play
I know I've written about him a lot lately, but he does seem like a bit of a wild card. And wild cards are fun. Donovon may be the star, but Dempsey could turn the tide.

5) America playing better soccer can only mean good things for football in general?
I ended that last one as a question because even if the Americans play better this time around and we draw more respect and more fans - leading to more money for the MLS and maybe keeping our top players in country- and maybe drawing more Europeans to the States. Is that better? In the global community we live in, the multi-nationality make up of the teams would reflect other European clubs. And if that's what the world wants, then yes, football will reap the benefit. If one wants countries' teams to reflect their own nationality, then perhaps no. Okay, that was a heck of a run-on sentence. Hopefully you get my drift. This point was tougher to explain than I thought it was going to be. Anyway, the point being...?

Okay then, those are my reasons, for good or ill. Leave a comment for good or ill, too. I hope to hear from somebody...here's to a fun and competitive World Cup.

Apple pie anyone?

P.S. - Sorry about the lateness of the post. It was to be published two different times and each time I lost my Internet connection and the entire post. Fingers crossed as I hit "Publish"...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!