Tuesday, June 29, 2010

From Moppet to Man - Our Love Affair with Cesc


So in the midst of a summer fraught with "will he or won't he", Cesc Fabregas finds himself voted the EA Sports Player of the Season by the fans. His fans. Our player. Even though he missed 11 games last season, no one can deny the magnitude of his role on the team. He ended up with 19 goals and 16 assists while flirting with the idea of leaving us for Barfa after yet another trophyless season. And we still love him.

I think we loved Cesc as soon as he came to Highbury all skinny, fearless, and fiery - threading the needle and making tight passes to Henry at a mere 16 years old. I loved that silly mullet and how the older players patted his head when he got his first goal in the Carling Cup only four months after joining up.



I've loved watching him grow up from that skinny youth to a man who can grow a full beard as best as the rest of them. He's matured as far as temper on the pitch (remember his red card against Everton?) He's grown so much that when that car salesman-of-a-coach Phil Brown accused Cesc of spitting on his crazy assistant Horton, I knew it was a lie even before Cesc came out with his official statement of denial. He wouldn't do that. He wouldn't embarrass the club that way. He would not embarrass surrogate father Arsene that way.


He loves us fans, too. Don't think because of this summer saga that he doesn't. Remember what he said to the press about his relationship with the fans:

"I will only say one thing, I have great respect for Arsene Wenger, for Arsenal Football Club and for the Arsenal fans. Sometimes not even in my house have I felt more loved than I have at Arsenal.



And regarding his relationship with Wenger he stated:

“He means everything to me. He is the person who put his trust in me. Without him, I don’t know if I would be a professional footballer today. I owe him a lot and I have a special affection for him.”

And of course, don't we love him for his performances on the pitch? This year was the pinnacle for him so far. His cameo at Aston Villa, his making the penalty against Barcelona with a broken leg, and his first full season as the Arsenal captain have been just a few of the high points. Make-me-want-to-Barfalona have pursued "the one that got away" for over two years now. And until this summer, Cesc has staved off the rumors and the scandal-loving pundits. Until now. Not winning silverware this last season, I think, pushed Cesc into pushing Arsenal. And now he's stuck until August in a possible club tug-of-war that's played out in the world media. This battle is probably not as intense as the one in his heart, though. I hope, after putting his trust in Wenger, Cesc remains at least one more season at the Emirates where we can continue to applaud, be amazed, and appreciate him for the great player that he is. He will leave at some point, and that will be a sad day indeed. I just want one more season of lovin' Cesc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!