Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Ox Hits The Nail on The Head and We'll Have to Wait for the Verm and PerM Show


With the recent comings and goings of players around Arsenal the last couple of weeks, I have to admit to not paying much attention to our young signing Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.  I  knew he was considered one of the up and comers of English talent, and I have perused many a YouTube video, but I think his quotes regarding his chances of breaking into the first team gave me an idea of where his feet are when they're not pushing the ball around.  They seem firmly planted on the ground.  And I think it may have something to do with our new signings.  Alex gave an interview on the official website. 

"He's just told me I need to put pressure on him, impress him in training and that's all I can do," he told Arsenal.com.

"He's just bought some new players now and I understand it's going to be hard for me, but I'm a young lad coming into the Club and I understand I've got a lot of hard work to do to try and impress him."

The Ox nailed it, didn't he?  As opposed to the number of young players who have gotten used to competing against only other young players for a place in the squad, the signing of experienced (albeit perhaps injury-prone) players has signalled a new path from Reserve Player to Starter.  You are going to have to work and force your way in.  Many a fan's complaint last season was the lack of what we deem work rate amongst some of  our starters.  Competition for places against veterans like Arteta and Yossi can be as valuable indirectly as the play they produce on the pitch.  No matter the amount of talent, without hard work that talent can waste away and end up in...Sunderland?

Yes, dearly departed Bendy, I believe, is one of those whose failure to apply himself to the fullest ended in his confidence becoming somewhat of a self-parody.  And according to former Gunner Havard Nordtveit , Nick could have tried a bit harder - and been more open to constructive criticism.  I am not gasping in surprise of Nordveit's appraisal even though he probably only trained with the first-team a handful of times.  I'm sure Nicky made a strong impression of the negative kind.  So he's off, apparently never to return.  Perhaps once he sees how different Sunderland treats their players as opposed to the cushy lifestyle afforded by Arsenal, he'll kick up his effort and become that world-renown striker.  Maybe.

Speaking of new signings, it looks like our Per will not become partners in the center defense with My Vermie for a good couple of months.  Just our luck, Thomas is out for "a month" after having surgery on his "other" ankle.  Apparently the niggly he picked up in the Udinese game could have turned into something more serious akin to last season's achille's injury, so they removed the same tendon.  A month back to training means we won't in all likelihood get to see the Verm and PerM show until our game against the Neanderthal-ish Stoke.  And that's counting on no setbacks.  So, are we thinking December then?  You know, I didn't use to be this cynical.

Anyway, that's all for today.  I know that I am excited to see Arteta et al in action on Saturday.  Hopefully Swansea will be the tune-up game we need before frying some bigger, tastier fish.  Talk to you all later.

1 comment:

  1. The Ox showed in the last week exactly what he can do with 2 great performances for England's under 21s. With Gervinho suspended and Walcott possibly injured I think he could get a chance on Saturday or possibly Ryo might play.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment, Handsome!