Thursday, August 18, 2011

Could Lansbury See Daylight Saturday?


So, I know we are all biting our fingernails, ruining our manicures, pulling out clumps of hair in an attempt to manage the barrage of anxiety we're feeling about Saturday's match against Liverpool.  Admit it.  Some of you think we don't have a Popsicle's chance in Hades of coming out with a win against the Scousers, never mind another clean sheet.  And looking at everything on paper, that is probably a pretty accurate prediction.  According to the injury update on the official site, we are sporting a threadbare squad.  To summarize, I'll list who out of our first team "regulars" is available:
Szczesny, Sagna, Koscielny, My Vermie, Arshavin, Theo, Rambo, RVP, Chamakh, Nasri (*cough,splutter*) and...that's about it.  Which means we're in need of a make-shift left back, and one or two midfielders.  Djourou is a "maybe" dependent on a late fitness test tomorrow so he could figure in as well.

Threadbare, right?  So I'm figuring we could see a squad made up of half veterans and half new up and comers which could look something like this:
Szczesny, Sagna, Koscielny, DJ/Vermie, Vermie/Jenks, Rambo, Ping-Pong, Theo Arshavin, RVP and...Lansbury? 

Why not Henri?  Our other choice could be Nasri, but with his alledged impending Manchester City transfer, I doubt he will be risked.  So our midfield could consist of Henri and The Pong (I can't make up my mind about his nickname.  There are so many possibilities) who have played together for several years at the Academy and Aaron who has taken on the mantle of creative midfielder since the departure of He Who Must Not Be Named.  The average age is - well without having to do real math - it's younger than the roof on my house probably.  But Henri has, as described by Jamie at YoungGunsBlog.com and Norwich staff, grit, determination, and "an engine that won't quit".  I think that's what we need right now.  We don't have the finesse honed by experience in the Premier League, we don't have a vault full of silverware won by recent squads, but we could have some fight in us on Saturday.  We could have enough to prove to give a shock to Liverpool and even we fans.  Henry definitely has something to prove to Wenger.

On the offensive end, Liverpool's defense is penetrable, and with Theo's (or Ox's or Ryo's) speed, Arshavin's magic,Bendy's headers ( hey - he's not gone yet) and RVP 's chocolate and non-chocolate legs, we could outscore them.  Their talisman is out injured.  Suarez seems to be there center of energy and Carroll their aerial threat.  I'm not sure we can get a clean sheet out of it, but I think we can battle through to a win.  I want a win.

Why not? We got one against the energetic Italians (who I thought were very un-Italian -like in their attack), so hopefully, our defense has built some confidence, and Theo will continue some scoring form - especially after announcing he 's aiming for 18 goals this season.  *Gasp*  Someone wants that central striker position really badly.  Go for it Theo!  If you reach your goal, you could write a book about it.  Erm...I mean a second book....filled with interesting things to read about.  Moving on.

I wanted to encourage everyone to visit 'holic's website to view this Arsenal Anthem.  It was the inspirtaion to this somewhat optimistic post.  I think all of us as fans could use some uplifting momentum right now.  Actually, I think the players taking their places on the pitch for Saturday's match could use a view of it too.  Sadly, I don't have that much influence.  Give it a look and tell me that it doesn't get you fired up. I dare you.   I'll have to call you a Gone Gooner then, though.

Whoever is on the pitch for the weekend match, let's all get behind them.  It's the first match at the Emirates, and I hope the boys out there get full support from the fans lucky enough to be able to attend.  If Lansbury does make it to the pitch, give him a good song, won't you?  Take care.

1 comment:

  1. In my opinion Lansbury has to play. What's the point in having him in the squad if he can't play when we are so short of players. If he isn't picked I wouldn't be surprised to see him loaned out again.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment, Handsome!