Friday, March 18, 2011

The End Of Hibernation

Sniff...something smells different.  Spring?  Could be.  It feels like I've been in a self-protective cave for awhile allowing life - and Arsenal - to pass me by while I try to regain strength in the part of my limbs and brain that control my fan enthusiasm.  I have to admit my fervor waned after the last two week's worth of losses and the pile-up of injuries.  So I climbed into my hole, curled up, and gave my beat up psyche a rest.

But, as I said - sniff - something smells different.  It smells almost German.  Don't roll your eyes - German is a smell.  Craziness, great cheekbones, granite jaw, muscular legs, and perfect shoulders are all smells - if one is obsessed with Jens Lehmann.

See what I mean?

Jens was my first official Arsenal crush.  Before I understood the game or even cared if Arsenal won, there was Jens standing tall in between the sticks yelling at people, shoving people, kicking people, and even knocking some people's teeth out in the process.  He also did a bit of good goal keeping too, accumulating 10 clean sheets in a row in Europe, keeping out Riquleme's penalty shot in the semi-final allowing us to advance to Paris for the Champions League Final.  Of course, I have to remember, he is a bit Mad.

Anyway - he's back, and I'm perked up.  Jens' return is great timing also, as my second dreamy crush is out for the rest of the season.  Wenger announced that The Verminator (who possesses many of the same great attributes as the German but seems much saner) is done for the year.   Much like the famed Greek warrior, Vermalaen has been undone by his heel - although only suffering a football death worth one season as opposed to an eternity.  I am waxing philosophical today, aren't I?  I suppose that comes from trying to shake away the cobwebs.

What else?  Djourou is also out for about six weeks meaning our favorite pairing of Squillaci and Koscielny are most likely going to face West Brom on Saturday.  West Brom beat us last match at the Emirates and like to play - thankfully - the ball mostly on the ground.  Our French pairing in the middle don't fare so well together against balls in the air, so maybe they'll be alright.

Cesc, Song and Theo are still out so here's hoping Wenger puts Nasri in the middle and Rosicky either out wide or on the bench.  I don't think he is doing well in the middle and Nasri on the wing seems to be less potent with Cesc out.  I'm hoping also that Le Boss gives Rammers a start ahead of either Denilson or Diaby.  I don't care which one at this point, just keep the very non-dynamic duo off the pitch.  Aaron has been called up for international duty so a good amount of playing time would probably be appreciated by the Welsh National Manager.

So with only 10 games to go and only one trophy on which to focus, the end of the season is looking tricky and unexpected.  I'm not sure I was expecting us to be only 3 points behind the leaders with a game in hand.  I know I wasn't expecting both our starting goalies to be out injured and Wenger signing an emergency keeper.  And as far as Saturday's game goes, I really don't know what to expect there either.  I'm hoping for Wenger's selections to make sense, and for our boys to play hard. I figure if they don't play hard, the sight of Mad Jens on the bench, or in the locker room, might make them reconsider.

Because he bites, you know.

Time for a nap.  See you later after the match.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment, Handsome!